HybridZ

Building my 3.0 L soon - pics

inline6

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW - I'm running 45 pilots in my 44's on a 3.1L. Idles at 13.2 according to the wideband.

Thanks for that info.  

I'm running a 17010-A7600 NISMO High Volume fuel pump...  The gauge on the aeromotive regulator was showing 4+ but below 5 lbs.  So, maybe it was enough pressure to push past the needle and seat and raise the fuel level too high in the carburetor body.  

Since 3 to 3.5 lbs is what I see as the recommendation from searching, I adjusted it downward.  Only problem is, for some reason, the needle on the pressure gauge is rock steady from 0 to 2.5 lbs and above 3.5 lbs... but adjusting to bring it into the 3 to 3.5 territory, it gets some kind of resonance thing going on and the needle on the gauge bounces up and down like crazy.  Go figure.  

Haven't had a chance to see if that changes things yet - it is too late to start it up tonight - even though I should to get back at the neighbors with their freaking loud and constantly barking dogs.

Edited by inline6

Well, I started a post over in the fuel delivery section because that is more relevant to what I am actually doing right now with the car, but I thought I'd post a video in this thread too.  I've got the car idling at about 800 RPM now.  Tomorrow, I hope to put it on the ground and get it to move under its own power for the first time in 3 years.  

Edited by inline6

That sounds Awesome!!  Is that a 3" exhaust?

Yes, it is.  I drove it around the neighborhood today for all of ~ 8 minutes.  It was starting to rain...  And it isn't registered/licensed just yet.  My plan was to get a better video of the exhaust sound.  I'm very interested myself... I mean, I have only heard it from the tail pipe end at idle so far.  The induction noise is very loud... much louder than expected, but I don't have the air cleaner cover on there, and no filter... and no hood right now either!  

I am fairly certain I'll need to wear ear plugs when driving it more than 10 minutes at a time.  We'll see.

Here is my exhaust system build thread if you are interested in seeing that: 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/109185-3-exhaust-for-na-modified-engine-muffler-options/

And another very short video of the car after the 8 minute drive... not running this time.   :)

Sounds really nice!

What flares and wheels are you running? Looks sweet.

Pete

Wheels are Panasport c8's. Rear is 16X9, front is 16X8.  The flares were purchases from Motorsport Auto in 1992-3 - they were called "street flares", though they accommodate more wheel and tire than "ZG" flares.  I see they are no longer available from there, and maybe nowhere?  I saw identical ones in an old Bob Sharp Racing catalog I believe - they were very popular in the 70's and 80's for sure.  Seems like ZG is most popular nowadays - just from my point of view.  

They are very similar to a set I have. I'm planning on using them on my silver turbo car, so your car gives me a preview of what my car might look like. I plan on running 17" Rota RBs. I think they are 17x8.5 and 17x9.5.

Thanks,

Pete

I bet it is tensioner noise - sounds cool

I had a very similar noise on my car when I over tensioned the belt on my tired alternator. Try backing off the alternator tension to see if it changes.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be any noise from the tensioner?

Liking this build!

I had a very similar noise on my car when I over tensioned the belt on my tired alternator. Try backing off the alternator tension to see if it changes. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any noise from the tensioner? Liking this build!

Yeah, it's on my "to do" list to search the forums and elsewhere to see if the noise is to be expected with the special Kameari chain tensioner set up.  I also will loosen the bolts on the tensioner and see if it feels right to back it off a tad.  

In the meantime, I got the air box cover on... it is super tight to the point of almost breaking it to get it on.  Unfortunately, the combo of the Cannon manifold, the rubber carb isolators, and the carbs and the .030" heat shield and the air box mounting plate combine to make it too long.  Here is a pic of it installed:

post-4218-0-98936600-1360726417_thumb.jpg

I am still wondering what to do with the air filter...  I have it installed in this pic.  

post-4218-0-75464100-1360726427_thumb.jpg

I have two things I am thinking about.  First, should the filter be pointed up like this?  Over a long drive in the rain, I can see the water coming in and pooling in the bottom of the aluminum tube.  That wouldn't be good, because eventually, its going to get sucked into the engine.  And second, Should I put it in the center like this, in front of the radiator?  Seems like  I could shorten the run a touch and point it downwards and still get all the flow it needs, but the downside is that it will be exposed even more to water spray coming in the front.  Where it is now, it is protected by tucking under the hood a bit.  Anyway, still pondering.