HybridZ

Sanding and Panting???

DUDE

I am a new at taking the paint off my car. I want to know if anyone can give me some advise on what basic tool I will need to sand down my car? and if I should go down to the metal or just take it down becuase I just wnat to primer my car flat black and leave it there to use at the track? maybe in the far future I will paint it smokey gray with ghost flames.

I used a hand drill and like 20 5inch sanding pads, along with a brass wheel for the nooks and crannoes. It took me 2 days by myself. and a lot of motivation to keep going. I took it down to bare metal and found 2 spots of bondo on the quarter panels just behind the rear tires, along with several cancer spots under the paint. So I got to do some body work and cut out like 2 bad spots.

Then I made a mistake and decided to spray paint my car. Looked better than with the old faded paint, but not nearly as good as ot could have been if I had spent $500 for a one day shop to spray it with real paint, in a closed environment (I did it under my carport).

If you know you have a clean shell and just want it flat black you can use some medium grade sand paper and just scuff the surface then spray over.

If you go down to bare metal just dont cheap out and do it right with proper equipment.

Edited by BluDestiny

Thats OK if you want to bring it down to bare metal and check for bondo/ cancer spots, but if all you want to do is paint it flat black, here is what you will need, assuming you dont have to do any bodywork...

1. DA sander (optional) unless you want to hand sand the whole thing

2. 320 grit DA sand paper (at least 20 sheets)

3. red scotchbrite scuff pad

4. a roll of masking paper (or a couple sunday newspapers lol)

5. paint gun (you can pick one up from harbor freight for cheap since you are just spraying some flat black) but if you planning on doing this more than once, buy yourself a devilbiss hvlp with 1.3 tip

6. 1 gal. paint (you have a couple options here, I would just use black primer, but you could also use black sealer, or google hotrod black)

7. paint hardener (mix as recommended for the paint you use)

8. gal. of paint thinner (use to clean gun after painting)

9. wax and grease remover

10. tac cloth

11. air blower

12. a couple rolls of masking tape ( the 3m green stuff is the best)

13. roll of blue mechanis paper towels

14. paint mixing cups (you should only need 2)

15. mixing sticks

16. paint strainers

17. I think thats about it...

Here is what you need to do...

1. wash the car thoroughly

2. sand the whole thing with the 320 grit sand paper (this is where you you wish you had bought a DA sander)

3. use the red scotchbrite scuff pad to scuff up all the edges and spots hard to get with sand paper

4. the object is to take the shine out of the paint, not strip it all off.

5. once the car is completely sanded and there is absolutely no shine on it, use air blower to blow the dust off the car

6. mask off anything you do not intend to paint

7. damp paper towel with wax and grease remover, and wipe the whole car down. You may have to do this step twice, just depends

8. open gal. of paint, stir it thoroughly

9. pour into mixing cup, mix in hardener. You will have to check the product label to find out how to mix it

10. after paint is mixed, pour into paint gun using a strainer

11. wipe car down with tac cloth right before you are ready to paint

12. start spraying car using about a 50% overlap

13. you should only need 2 coats to get the car covered good

14. congrats, you are now done. disassemble your paint gun and clean it using paint thinner

• 2 weeks later...

i just finished a project VERY similar to yours, and i guess everyone will have different opinion and what you should do or start with... im excited to see how your results differ from mine if at all... BUT i started with 400 grit and went up to 1000 grit (wet sanding) to smooth it but still no shine, like richracing said.. mine is painted with flat white instead of black but i think the results should be similar.... Good luck and post pics!

thats what I did before paint, and I did the 1500 to 2000 grit after because I wanted it smooth, but I was agreeing that the goal was not to take all the paint off but just to dull it so it doesnt shine and is scuffed enough to take the paint/ primer well...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/99567-jz33s-build-thread-28/

all of the pics are there, not much info though so I can answer any questions... this was my first home project but I work at a body/custom shop...