HybridZ

current build

Calico

Had this posted in the 6 cylinder forums but i wasnt gettin much traffic, so i figured maybe i put it in the wrong place. Anyways:

1. I'm planning a new build & needed some insight on the demensions on the s130T/280zx turbo crossmember? Is it removable, bolted in or welded? Theres no kit for the Series II GM 3800 w/4l60e i wanna swap in but another build stated its a pretty close match demension wise to the l28et. Could i torch the off old datsun mounts/perches & weld on the Series II GM 3800 w/4l60e mounts where i need them, replacing the original nissan mounts? Would it be smarter to use a aftermarket universal crossmember w/ similiar demensions? Besides the cross member how else it the original l28et mounted? I would like the new drivtrain mounted back as far as possible? How about the transmission crossmemeber?

2. This thread, http://forums.hybrid...eo/page__st__20, states the s130 has rear suspension issue over 400+hp. Any insight?

3. Any1 know ways around the zx steering column if it interferes w/ exhaust manifolds? Flaming river, relocation ect

1. The stock crossmember comes into two varieties that I'm aware of. One for the recirculating ball steering setup found in power steering models from 79 to 81. Then there's the rack and pinion steering cross member found on manual steering models and power steering models from 82-83. The lower control arms mount to the xmember so you might not want to remove it, but it's just bolted in and very easy to remove. I actually swapped an entire xmember, steering, suspension, and brakes from a '83 into a '81 and the only thing I took off was the wheels. Took the whole thing out as one giant unit and had one other person help me haul it from one car to the next. Bolted it all up and done! Just had to connect the steering linkage, attach the brake lines, and bolt up the PS pump once the engine was back in.

Regarding engine mounting, the L engine just as the two mounts on the Xmember and the trans mount, which is a little wishbone unit that has a single isolated bolt on the trans and two bolts running the direction of the length of the vehicle, that go through a simple mounting arrangement with tabs on each side of the trans tunnel. Some have used these mounting ears by putting longer bolts through and mounting the trans BEHIND the ears and putting a spacer between the ears so they don't cave in. Interesting arrangement that I wouldn't think would last, but it's seen quite the abuse in some cars with nobody reporting problems I've seen (and that's in the S30 cars which have weaker looking ears to my eyes, but I might be wrong)

2. The only "issue" to worry about is shredding a tire when you romp on it on the freeway, and then kill yourself. There's several ways to prevent this, all of which won't cost much. Just something to keep watch on as you progress.

3. Get the engine far enough back and you shouldn't have much issues. Guys have fit plenty of V8's even OHC V8's into the S130 and found ways around it. You'll most likely have the entire engine behind the steering rack, putting the steering arm pretty far forward relative to your exhaust, but I'm not sure how the turbo manifolds look on those engines and what you'll have to deal with.