HybridZ

Found something in my oil pan

Wedge

Hi everyone I was in the process of installing my new Pat1 made oil pan and when i removed the stock RB26 pan I cought these little bastards near the in and around the oil pick up the biggest chunk was on the edge of the block. They must've fallen form inside the pan because after checking the bottom of the pan carefully I found some more tiny pieces of metal. The engine had an almost perfect compression across the block before removal form the skyline it came from. Im getting paranoid now I dont know what to do, should I open it and check the cylinder walls or something else. I didnt pay attention when i drain the pan the first time to check if their was metal bits in it. I cought a piece of black silicone sealant in the big banjo bolt on the block the one that feed water to the 2 turbos.

Pictures of the metal parts. What are they from ?

SDC11567.jpg

SDC11566.jpg

SDC11565.jpg

Thank you for the advice

Yes it had a blown turbo I changed it since but the PO didnt know it was busted because (and this is what he told me could lies to)he bought the car from Japanese auction had it delivered decided he want to keep the body and part the rest and this where i come in he mentioned he just drove it from the ports custom in BC canada to his home and once around the block to film it driving around because i asked him to film rolling around. I had the compression test on film to it was in the 160 and over all across the block.

Beer tap was for size chart lol .Both my turbos have been checked one was all good the other one I had to replace it. Im more scared of the fact that I cant find the other half of the ring.

pictures of the dead turbo looked like it sucked a rag left in a IC pipe

S8000522.jpg

S8000532.jpg

S8000537.jpg

haha i know that... couldnt be a wrist pin could it? i doubt it would use a snap ring that looked like that... did this thing run?

well i take that back wrist pins dont have oil galley like that i dont think.

Edited by ZT-R

Yep that's turbo journal bearing parts. I guess it could be possible that the turbo could take a crap and the bearing parts could be washed out of the turbo by the oil in to the pan. No big deal. I would inspect the bottom end a little. I would put money on it that the clip and other bearing parts are still in the turbo. If your that worried about it pull the head and inspect the cylinder walls but if the walls were messed up the compression would be off.

RB26powered74zcar how would one do an oil galley flush ? Im wondering why their is sleave bearing parts in my pan since i have BB turbos on it. I thinking maybe the rebuild it supposedly had in japan was from that blown turbo but not cleaning the mess in the pan and im asking myself can i trust them to have done the rest of the job well.

I think ill pull the oil pump this afternoon to check for wear and metal parts.

Edited by Wedge

Im wondering why their is sleave bearing parts in my pan since i have BB turbos on it.

Did you put the BBs on yourself? Or are these the turbos that came with the motor? Maybe the PO blew his turbo and just slapped another turbo on without doing any further work.

That just looks scary. How did that get through the intercooler? Or did it get in through the turbo's oil return line?

I must have been very fortunate. When I first got my 280z going with the RB25 I got a little gung-ho with the Greddy boost controller. The first run trying to tune it, I had misread the directions and hit over 18psi on the stock turbo that was already gushing oil into the intercooler charge pipe =x

Edited by jakeoster

Did you put the BBs on yourself? Or are these the turbos that came with the motor? Maybe the PO blew his turbo and just slapped another turbo on without doing any further work.

The BB turbos were on when i got the engin and like the picture above had one destroyed that was a BB to. My guess is the first set of turbos this RB26 had the oem ones probably blew. My oil Pump is all clean BTW i checked yesterday.

The BB turbos were on when i got the engin and like the picture above had one destroyed that was a BB to. My guess is the first set of turbos this RB26 had the oem ones probably blew. My oil Pump is all clean BTW i checked yesterday.

Great news man. I would do a quick look at the crank case but I doubt your going to find anything else. Have you turned the motor upside-down?