HybridZ

weber side draft carb problem, fuel everywhere...

lowdown

Triple 40 webers. Car was siting for a month, started it and was driving like ass. Upon investigation one of the carbs was leaking out gas out through the air filter. Took the top of the carb off and adjusted the float level so it does not leak anymore but it appears to be flooding the engine. (5,6 cylinder) Could something have gotten clogged while sitting there a month? Looking for any ideas, I'm not to good with these weber side drafts.

Thanks

Phil

No luck, took it all apart, it all looked very clean. One thing i noticed is one of the floats has some fuel in it, just a little but perhaps I should replace it. It is brass, so not sure if I should get another brass one or plastic one. Anyoen with any experience in this? Guess i'll just take it fully off and throw a rebuild kit at it and see what it does.

True, funny thing is i do fine soldering on cell phones during the day, using a microscope so that is a great idea. Hmmm feel kinda dumb that i didn't think about fixing it myself now. I'll try to heat it up and see if I can get the gas to evaporate out of it, i shook it a bit trying to get it a drop to come out somewhere and didn't find any... but i have a fancy blow dryer i use at work.

Thanks!

Stick the float in a pot of boiling water, and watch the pinhole for bubbles coming out. When the bubbles stop coming out of the float, you have not only expanded the air, but boiled all the gasoline out of the float as well.

Heat the float and solder the offending spot. Stick back in boiling water after letting it cool to make sure it's O.K. and not still leaking.

Some people let the float cool before soldering it, on the thought it might collapse when cooled and sealed. To each his own, I don't want water in there, so if you have low humidity I suppose letting it cool down is O.K. too...

Don't go nuts with the solder, ideally heating what you have and using a flux laden brush (the flux with tinning solder in it) is usually enough to cover the pinholes and not affect the weight. If it weighs wrong, it will have similar problems.

Good Luck.

Order a set of plastic foam floats, and keep them on hand for the future! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had this same problem with mine a while back. I used a lighter (don't try this at home kids!) to burn the fuel out of the float (wear gloves!) and then soldered it back together with some good solder. Whole process took about an hour, the time-consumer is you have to get the brass hot enough to melt the solder, which takes awhile since it conducts heat so well. In my method you know there's no more fuel when it won't burn without you lighting the lighter/match.

Or use Tony D's Method. Probably less dangerous, but nothing is more entertaining than watching a four-foot flame front stretch out from the float when you point the hole toward the ground.