HybridZ

Driveshaft From Camaro

Danno74Z

Hello,

I would like to know what diameter(and wall thickness) drive-shafts people are using on their conversions. I have an OEM Camaro shaft from the mid 90's that fits the T56 transmission but naturally it is way to long (no puns please). Anyway, the shaft diameter is 2.5" and is in great shape, it even has the damper on the transmission end. I figure why spend 300-400 dollars when I can take this one and shorten it and weld on a new rear yoke to fit the 1310 u-joint flange. The weld on yoke is about $25 and to get it balanced locally is $50. Below is a link to the procedure - looks easy! He even reused the yoke but I figure why go through the hassle of cutting it off and reusing when a new one is so inexpensive and I don't have to use a conversion u-joint.

Is 2.5" diameter OK to use in the Z?

Thanks

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/transmission-articles/493751-how-shorten-your-driveshaft.html

Thanks Gothalosism.

Today, I took the Camaro drive shaft into work and had one of the machinist cut off the rear yoke and to my surprise the wall thickness of the tube is .070. Standard wall thickness fo a drive shaft tube is .065 or .083. I had two other people measure it and they got the same results. The ID of the tube is 2.360 and the closest weld on end yoke is a Spicer 2-28-367 with a diameter of 2.344. That means the tube is .016 larger in diameter then the yoke or .008 on a side. I went ahead and bought the Spicer yoke to see if there would be too much slop between the two parts. The yoke cost $20 so no big deal.

Danno74Z