HybridZ

R200 clsd problems

brianZortiz

I have 3:70 clsd of a 300zx on my 260z and I was driving the car on the freeway on 5th (close ratio 5speed 280zx) and suddenly the car stops like of someone slammed the brakes. I pulled to the shoulder and visually inspected the car and nothing seemed wrong. I turned the car back on to drive and it drove but made a noise on the right rear. As I increase in speed the noise gets louder. I got home and thoroughly checked it and it seems like the noise is coming from differential. Is it ok to drive it? And is my differential gone?

What axles are you running? I'm using z31 and my left side binds when suspension is off the ground. Lots of resistance and hard to turn. Right side turns normal. I'm using the MM flange z31 to 280z splines.

Drain your fluid and inspect the oil.

Not enough info there to make a determination. Take the diff out and check it out if you suspect that is the problem. I did have a diff lock solid on me once. Before I knew anything about diffs I paid a shop to replace all the bearings in mine (waste of money) and they forgot to torque the pinion nut. I drove it around for about 15 minutes and then went home and had my roommate jump in the car with me. We got about 3 houses down the street and it locked solid. Had to pick the back end of the car up with a jack and roll it back home. The pinion had walked out the ring gear into the LSD. No harm done other than a nice mark left on the carrier, but that happened at about 15 mph.

I'm using 260z u joints with 280z stubs. I checked the oil and the drain plug had metal shavings on it. It also seems that I was only using about 1 liter of gear oil. Well in reverse the car locked up once but doesn't anymore. The yoke Was actually not torqued down. It was impacted in with gun. I jacked car, both wheels in the air and tires spin freely but in passenger rear noise comes out from there. The diff ran great on street and this was my first time on freeway and it locked up when I was at 55mph. And prior to this I installed my clsd brace to run finned cover. It was welded on before and now has the holes drilled.

There's seems to be nothing broken or strange when I opened diff up. On the right side of diff there are 2 rings sticking out one black and the other champagne. The champagne o e sticks out further and is of smaller diameter of black one. Does it suppose to be like that? If I can't find anything should I go in further inside the diff?

I looked over Other LSDs pictures and it looks to seem everything is in place. I didn't see any broken pieces. The teeth seem in great condition. From what you are telling me JMortensen I think it was because my pinion nut was not torqued down. I am going to call hoopers rear end exchange and tomorrow and have them look over it thoroughly.