HybridZ

1980 280zx help... Pictures inside

82 turbo z

hey guys i tried to tackle replacing some cracked vacuum hoses today and this year has soooo many more then my 82 did and i was starting to replace some lines and some of the "valves?" broke one of the barbs off. Im wondering if i can just plug these lines on these "valves" and swap my 82 280zx throttle body on it to get rid of the lines on the bottom. Also can i just run the vacuum advance on the distributor straight to the intake manifold? What all can i get rid of on the manifold and still be able to drive the car around daily? thanks any help would be really great trying to get it back on the road for my daily while i finish my turbo motor build.

Heres a valve of some sort right on the thermostat housing. It had 3 lines but one broke so it was taped up for now and the other 2 plugged. What exactly does this thing do and is it necessary for driving? It had lines leading and "t"ing into the distributor, throttle body and to another valve on top of the intake manifold which im not sure what it is either and plugged those too. its right next to something that the hard coolant line connects to.

fa35ab2e.jpg

4c7067e3.jpg

2b3edf4d.jpg

Heres that other valve on top of the intake manifold that 2 of the lines ran to

12be2599.jpg

It was next to and under the air regulator? but didnt seem connected to it it seemed connected to something the coolant hard line was connected to

578a2d49.jpg

Heres the 1980 throttle body that has tons of little vacuum ports underneath that i want to swap out with my 82 to try to eliminate most of these cracked and mazed vacuum lines. i also noticed it doesnt have the top coolant passage that the 82 has which is fine one less thing to block off on the housing.

359e4156.jpg

The 82

4f50b74f.jpg

f3e22c7d.jpg

Also got rid of one of the egr actuator things on the intake manifold and ran the hoses else wear. But the 80 has another hard line coming from the egr located in the back that i need to take off and plug.

110eeadc.jpg

Thanks really just need some insight on people that have worked on the older motors b/c the 82-83 i've worked on was so much easier and less **** lol thanks!

Edited by 82 turbo z

I think they are actually heat activated vacuum sources for egr or other stuff I'm thinking about using my 82 thermostat housing my 82 throttle body, running distributor to intake Mani and should be fine cause those valves are hooked up to coolant sources that would heat it up and open for vacuum. Any confirmation? Thanks

I think they are actually heat activated vacuum sources for egr or other stuff I'm thinking about using my 82 thermostat housing my 82 throttle body, running distributor to intake Mani and should be fine cause those valves are hooked up to coolant sources that would heat it up and open for vacuum. Any confirmation? Thanks

Every model is different in some way. The factory service manual desribes each component in detail. You can buy it in PDF form on cd on ebay for about $20 and it includes all the model years. I highly recommend it. It will save you a ton of time and effort.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NISSAN-280Z-280ZX-WORKSHOP-REPAIR-SERVICE-MANUAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b8b55176QQitemZ140537844086QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

Just passing along info. to help you in your future endeavors.

Edited by macambra

• 2 weeks later...

There is a free FSM on the internet, why did you buy one???

Because it covers ALL years of 280z/zx and has owners manuals and some TSBs and other related stuff that is not free. Not to mention it was really inexpensive and I didn't have to weed through a bunch of broken links and malware to find it.

• 8 months later...

oh ok

I just did the same thing on my 1983. I had to replace it. It's called the Ported Vacuum Switch. The one for my 83 costed 83$. However, in my disbelief, I cross referenced the part with a 1980 and it was only 30$for the 1980 and functions exactly the same. The only difference was the shape of the housing.

Between 131 and 203 degrees, the vacuum advance is actuated, and the EGR valve is operational. During warm up the timing advance is closed and the EGR does not function in order to warm the catalyst. You could run the timing advance directly to the intake, but your idle speed would suffer during warm up. If you don't have emission testing in your area, you don't really need the EGR. Mine isn't hooked up because my car has a header and no catalyst.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ported-Vacuum-Switch/1980-Nissan-Datsun-280ZX/_/N-im0lpZ93xpw?counter=2&filterByKeyWord=ported+vacuum+switch&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=68710_148373_0_

You can get all the free FSMs you want on Xenon.com. No need to buy it. Just type in the year and model and download it. http://www.xenons130.com/index.html