HybridZ

Lemons Motor Build

I've been reading and researching the L28. I am putting together a car for LeMons and am wanting to see what you guys think about this motor build. I want to keep the car N/A and want to just pep the motor up a bit. I'm thinking I should go with the Maxima N47 Head with a set of flat top pistons and a mild cam. I have a full machine shop and can unshroud the valves myself on my seat and guide machine. I am also looking for a set of headers that will free up the exhaust a little bit. Once that's all done, I'm wondering if Megasquirt will be enough to get the fuel system up to par. Will I need larger injectors? The motor won't be too radical with those upgrades but it should make it a little more fun to drive on the track. I've never built an L28 before as I went straight to an LT1 when I bought my Z several years ago. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know there are a lot of experienced people here who know plenty about the L28. Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

From what I understand from those that HAVE run the L motors in the lemons races, is that your #1 concern needs to be oiling. Quite a few people haven't finished the race due to oil starvation issues.

Hopefully some of those people will be able to chime in to give their experience.

MS 1 endured well in our experiences.

Make sure oiling (accusump) is in order, and that the harmonic balancer is worthy.

Forward crash protection is also critical.

Engine power was not a problem. Handling was what put us to the head of the pack, and the engine kept us pulling away even in relatively stock 1977 EFI form (with MS1 fueling the stripped stock components.)

First engine was put out in a crash that broke the distributor.

Second effort was put out in a crash that tore the LF corner off the car.

Third effort was put out when the harmonic balancer separated and it cooked down.

In the third effort, it was total domination of the field till it cooked. To the point we were thinking we were going to get the curse because of the total domination of the field.

In all cases, stock EFI intake manifold, running MS1. On the third effort, there was a cheap regrind cam put in there and we realized we probably overdid it because even with the stickes on the car, traction was beginning to be a problem.

Keeping it simple, straightforward, and reliable pays dividends in any enduro.

As one that has a maxima headed F54 with flat tops, this is a good bet.

I only dyno'd it once, and that was with a failing e1280 that wouldnt let it rev over 4500ish, and it would start breaking up around 4300. I wish I would have gotten the dyno sheet, because I was pulling 141rwhp @ 4100 rpm.

this was with stock '80 EFI, MN47 head, 60mm TB, 2.5 where-the-cat-should-be back exhaust, 260Z "C" stamp cam and mild bowl work as well as taking the bumps out of the intake runners (non EGR manifold at that) at the end.

After I put megasquirt on it, it picked up even more. It turned a 1980 2+2 into a low low 15sec car. so, yes, there is power to be had with that set-up.