HybridZ

'79 280zx radiator in an S30

Hi guys, i bought a 1972 240z a couple of days ago. all of the current problems being set aside for a later day i have a quick question.

My neighbor came over and helped out while we were working on getting her started (clogged fuel filters are a *****, it now runs really well considering) and he mentioned he had a spare rad brand new in box for his old 79 280ZX that he got rid of years ago. long story short he gave it to me because it was just taking up space.

My question is this, i compared it to the one in the car, and it looked like it will work. i want to know definitively if it will, or if i will have clearance issues with the hood or something. As far as i know S30's and S130's have roughly the same hood profile, so id imagine i shouldnt have any problems, just wondering if anyone had tried before...

thanks guys.

As I recall, the bolt pattern is slightly wider on the 280ZX rad and it is also taller. That would make it sit further down behind the front rad support. I have several flushed and ready to run rads, of most years, in my stock pile. I'll try to give a look this evening to get specifics. I'd like to rid myself of some of them to gain stoarage space if anyone is interested.

I used the 280ZX radiator from my donor car in my "early" 260... It works alright for being free. If I were to spend money on a radiator, I'd get one built for the 240/early 260 frame. The ZX radiator is "taller". When it's mounted properly for hood clearance, it hangs down below the radiator frame support exposing the lower tank to rocks and debris and puts the bottom 3 (or more) inches of fins behind sheet metal. Still, it's worked fine with my turbo swap and I've never had a cooling problem (Phoenix, AZ so that says something).

My son's '76 280 has a different lower cross member for the radiator support than our early model Z's. They "bowed" the lower member down on the 280's. His Z takes a ZX radiator without it hanging down below the radiator support...

I have a ZX rad in my '73 240Z. I forget what all I had to do to install it, but it wasn't that hard. IIRC, I had to drill two new mounting holes in the rad support, and grind down the mounting flange on the radiator to get it to fit between the frame rails. As cgsheen said, the lower tank sits below the lower crossmember, but in 9 years, it's never been damaged. You'll also need a ZX lower rad hose. Cooling has been excellent. Even with an intercooler and oil cooler in front of the rad, I had no cooling problems when I was in Nashville last year for the convention, including a day running at the track.

Nigel

'73 240ZT