HybridZ

GT2 Ghia

mutantZ

I suppose it's copyright violation if I color scan it at work and then post it online....

Nice hammertone complete tubular frame, louvred hood for cooling flow on the radiator, and a really cool unitized muffler setup where the old engine used to be---over a Mendiola 5-Speed Transaxle. Very nice conversion!

I have never been fond of ANY of the VW v8 conversions. I suppose I can muster some appreciation for the work but the conversions never seem to look right to me. I'll take a type IV conversion stroker with or without turbo and call it a day. But a suprcharge lq9 in a ghia is an impressive feat.

Then putting the whole Oldsmobile Toronado 455 Drivetrain midship in a Beetle is not a good thing? :blink:

Same magazine had a feature on that back in 79 or 80, and it was the inspiration for me and my friends first V8 conversion...since rusty Toranados were around $250, and Rusty Bugs were around $50 at the time (seriously!) figuring you needed to make a cradle and frame anyway....

It was a heluva great project. It led to a more civilized 'store boughten' conversion kit for my buddy and his Corvair...Otto-Parts Corv-8 and an old Corvette 327... That was WAY easier than the Buganado.

Then again, the Corv-8 came about because we kept detonating to death the turbo engine we had put in his 69 Corvair...just put in a built 140 for daily driving, and went to the Corv-8 for the weekend insan-o ride.

Nothing has changed, just the metal we choose to wrap around what we got laying around the yard! :P

I will add I was VERY fond of the Buganado conversion. At first glance, like the one in the magazine...it looked like a Baja Bug which hadn't had the ends chopped off.

And it sounded 'kind of funny'...