HybridZ

5 Spd Swap Issues

Hi everyone I'm currently in the process of converting my '82ZX into manual. Everything for the swap was pulled from my '81 donor car. I went to put the pedal in and it seems as if its missing a spot welded nut to thread into. Left it out from factory possibly? It's got play from side to side and it also looks like the plastic pivoting part is missing the pin it slides into. Are they removable from my car or am I going to have to make something work. Hope this was clear enough.

did you pull out the whole clutch/brake assembly from your donor car? the whole piece that bolts to the firewall. i did this exact swap to mine last year

That's how I did mine too.

It's kinda a pain as the whole dash has to come out.

The early Zs are the ones you can just bolt the pedal on.

I removed everything shown on the diagram in the FSM. I'll look in the morning and see if the threaded portion pops out of the hole. If it does than this should be easy. If not guess I'll try something else. It looked like the entire assembly your referring to is spot welded to the car. I may be looking at it wrong. I'll check in the morning. Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by nate_82zx

The pedal cluster unblots as an assembly, it is near a spot-welded chassis component that runs 'through' it to support the steering column, but the pedal box will come out separately.

As noted, it's kind of a PITA to remove as the dash comes out to access it the easiest...but it does come out! :(

• 1 month later...