260z L28et Build (first build newb)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where I'm at today:

Cylinders 2 and 5 weren't firing found out it was not getting fuel. Cleaning the FI connections got 2 working, but 5 still wouldn't go swapping the injector wire onto 6 and 6 worked so im guessing if I can't get the connection clean enough its the injector itself.  Picking up a new one from autozone today.....$33 for an injector works for me :)

Got an air filter and a breather for the valve cover while I was out.

Edited by Co0ke

Thanks! I'm super excited. Me and my brother were laughing about the fact we were in complete shock that it actually fired up and ran on the first try. I like to think ill get to a point when ill be shocked that it doesn't.

Put the new fuel injector in today and now she puuuuuurrrrs and revs so nice! Can't wait to drive!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to take the car for a drive and everything was fine except what I think is a fuel delivery issue. I didn't want to really get on it before since I didn't have a tach but once I got that hooked up I tried to rev it up and it pretty much dies...almost dies. Kinda weird but my fuel pressure gauge is only reading at the most 30 at idle and drops to below 20 when I rev it. Going to purchase a warlboro. Hopefully that fixes it.

In other news all my exhaust components have arrived and I will be gabbing that up soon. Going to leave it straight piped at first just for fun but I bought a dynomax ultraflow that I may or may not use. Who knows maybe ill like it straight piped:)

• 1 month later...

been a while since I've updated installed my walbro pump and the car ran a ton better. Also removed the coarse filter before the pump as it was creating a lot of restriction. I could really hear the walbro screaming then and it has since calmed down. Fuel pressure is now looking like it should.  

Just trying to break in the engine, haven't installed the hood just for the ease of monitoring the engine. Feels like i have a considerable power increase already even though i have barely let the needle exceed 3000rpm.  

Unfortunately about a week ago I was out at night with my dad tooling around and I stopped to get gas, almost immediately after exiting the station I got on it a little and the car started to stumble and stall I could barely keep it going. Made it home ok but every time I gave it a little juice it would stumble and stutter....probably bad gas or something I assume. sucks that its a full tank of it.  

Haven't got out since that night. I've been insanely busy with work and life. Bought another car since I need something that looks professional and has AC for when I start selling real estate. It's a 2002 BMW 330CI convertable :) fun little car and now maybe my dates won't cringe like they did at the look and smell of my rust bucket of a truck 

Edited by Co0ke

Well, found out what my issue was over the weekend.  I was back home from training and thought i'd drive the car a bit. Poured some dry gas in the tank and took off with my brother.  We were able to go about 10 miles just cruising around the lake and suddenly dead....:(  I was rolling down hill the first time and got her to pop start. but only made it to the next stop sign when she quit for good.  When I tried to start her up I was just getting a plume of black smoke and a strong smell of gas.  She would fire up, but only for a few seconds and would just flood out. 

Luckily I nice gentleman who lived across the street named Perry came out of his garage which had two lifts, four cars and four awesome motorcycles. We quickly talked about what was happening and decided to try the FPR.  It took me 40 minutes and premium price at an autozone down in the city to find one in stock.  But that did the trick :) now she's running much better.  I guess with the FPR dying on me it made sense that the idle wasn't great and it would choke out a little when I was off the gas.  

Back at training again. Can't wait to drive her when I get back. Getting close to finishing the break in period and I'm dying to open her up!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I've been driving around, but I'm still not out of the dark. Still idles bad after it warms up, like its flooding. Consequently, I had to pull the O2 sensor out of the old down pipe when I went to install the motorsports down pipe to do my exhaust system. Tested it while it was out and it was bad so I got a new one, thought it might help my running rich issue but no dice. I'm thinking ill check out if my CHTS is working since it runs great until its warmed up.

Also, still think I have a leaky injector or 2 since it's still hard to start. like it's flooding.

CHTS checks out, but now the car is stalling when its warm...after about 10-15 minutes of running. Ordered some new injectors, I noticed the fuel pressure bleeding off rather quickly after shut off.  Still think it may be electrical ...need to take the time to go through the FSM and check all the readings when its hot. I've heard a bad CPS can malfunction when its hot and cause stalling.

Still hoping the new injectors fix it

Edited by Co0ke

New injectors in....same exact problem :icon8: . Fuel still bleeds down really quick, still hard to start, still wont idle well and stalls after getting hot.

changing the oil today and taking a look at the MAF and maybe the CAS. About the only 2 things that aren't new on the car.

Fuel still bleeds down really quick, still hard to start,

The other points of pressure leak down are the check valve in the fuel pump and the FPR.  Are you using the stock FPR or aftermarket?  Aeromotive FPRs are known to leak down rapidly.