HybridZ

240z Starter Wiring Trouble

Colin G.

After completing the re-wiring of my 240z, the last thing that is holding me back is my starter motor. I have the positive and negative 0 gauge wires that connect from the starter motor to the battery in the right place and have the B/Y wire connected to a switched 12v (this is my toggle switch that replaced the original ignition switch). With this current setup, I was able to crank the motor over a few times, but only once. Since then, whenever I give power to the B/Y wire, all I get is a *click* before loosing all power to the board.

Given my current situation, here is my question. Where does the B wire that is connected to the starter in the factory service manual need to go?

post-22914-031035700 1352318015_thumb.jpg

Here is my starter as it sits right now with only 3 wires connected to it.

post-22914-056348600 1352318035_thumb.jpg

Here is the board I was referring to. The board receives power from the battery and from here all accessories are powered (each with a individual circuit breaker).Please excuse/disregard the huge rat's nest of wiring, as I will clean everything up once I get the car running.

post-22914-079917700 1352318430_thumb.jpg

Lastly a diagram of the wiring for a 1973 240z. The B wiring I am asking about is the one that is attached to a fusible link which then connects to the + wire from the battery.

I know that asking for electrical help in a forum is a longshot, but I figured I'd ask about that B wire (given it is the only thing I am missing) before spending a few hours going over everything again. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Connect a wire to connection on the solenoid where the smaller black wire is (pull the black wire off first) in your first picture, then touch it to the battery positive terminal. If the starter turns correctly, the problem is in your wiring. If it doesn't, the problem is with the starter, solenoid or engine. Make sure that the car is not in gear and that you're ready for the engine to turn over. There will be a spark at the battery terminal.

Or just jump it at your board.

But first, make sure that your battery connections are clean and tight. One turn then a bunch of clicks is typical of dirty or loose connections. Plus the fact that you're losing power to the board, which appears to be connected directly to the battery. How can you lose power to the board without losing the battery connection?

Looking at your what you're doing with the wiring and board, you might have already tried this but sometimes the obvious is overlooked.

Where did you get the terminal board? I was looking for something similar recently and they're selection around here is slim.

The B wire is the fusible link itself. It is a black wire about 3" long with a ring terminal on one end to connect to the stud on the starter and a spade terminal on the other end to connect to the 10g white wire that feeds the whole car. Since you are taking power directly from the battery to your terminal board to feed the car you do not need the fusible link at the starter.

This morning I connected the B/Y wire directly to the + terminal on the battery and got the same result, a single *click* and that's it. I believe that my issue is simply a dead battery. I also noticed that the ground I have connecting the (-) board to the firewall is weak, given that I connected the board to a bracket on the firewall. I am going to buy a new Odyssey battery from Porterfield and connect the ground directly to the firewall and hopefully that will solve my issue.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm assuming that the starter solenoid isn't receiving enough voltage (e.g. dead battery) to pull the lever all the way, therefore this should be a simple fix. You will hear from me, success or not.