HybridZ

Frame and suspension damage

Let me start with the vision I have for the car. I want a street legal track dog. Currently i have a Chevy v8, r230, fuel cell, and 10 point cage all waiting to be installed. The whole car will be finished getting stitched and strut sectioned along with all bushings being replaced by hime joints and mono balls. control arm/tie rod lengthening/pivot changes and camber plates are also on the menu. Basically nothing untouched.

Now the problem. When taking apart the RF suspension I noticed the strut tube and tc rod had been bent. Then I noticed the bigger picture. The strut tower is bloated post-22834-0-42678500-1359925214_thumb.jpg and the tc box had been hit so hard that it pushed the frame rail in about an inch at the box post-22834-0-87117000-1359925291_thumb.jpg then the main crossmember stopped any further damage by kinking the frame once more post-22834-0-65826400-1359925257_thumb.jpg

Now the question... what to do? I have replaced all the suspension parts at this point and I currently have a second z that I could cut the frame rail out of. Then just weld in some camber plates to fix the bloated strut tower. Or the second option... Since I'm already planning to replace the rails that run down the body. would it be better to do something like this? post-22834-0-12802900-1359925647_thumb.jpg post-22834-0-50994000-1359925234_thumb.jpg

I'm not afraid to fabricate, but I am afraid of welding something crooked. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi Bud,

looks like you need some of these......

LINK here 

floor rails also coming.

This kink is an S30 problem, just hitting gutters or kerbs will do this.

This is why Nissan wen to a trailing link in almost all of their cars to follow, Hit a gutter and up over she goes, all-be-it cracked rimms and bent control arms.

But this is better than what your looking at now i suppose.

Nat0

For your plans (track dog and street car) that chassis is junk.  Scrap it (after salvaging the good body panels) and find another to start your build from.

This advice may sound a bit rough, but i suggest you follow it. You can find chassis for sale relatively cheap and will be WAY ahead. 

Very nice repair pieces!  Wish we had access to them here in USA.

Happy to send int'l.

Bugger the Aus dollar is too high.......

Good for us to buy from you guys but not the other way....

Also got floor/tc rod sections complete repairs too.

Scrap the car? Only if you want another "-1" for 240z on the roads, props for trying to bring one back from the brink.

Need to have or know someone willing to help with the skils req'd to resurect such damage.

nat0

Edited by nat0_240_chevZ

If you don't want to 100% original and can fabricate, just make your own. My '71 had a little tweak and a bad repair on the right front rail so I made new rails, bent the upper rail on the RF back into alignment and stuck it all back together. It's some work but my car very straight and will be stronger than stock when I'm done ( I hope).

post-11686-0-70207400-1361041312_thumb.jpg

post-11686-0-67449500-1361041388_thumb.jpg