HybridZ

Intercooler on N/A LS

I sure have noticed an improvement in ETs when it is cooler outside. Is there a place for an intercooler (air to air radiator) on a non-boosted car? I see them for sale cheap all the time and it would be an easy mod. Anybody got advice (even if you want to tease me for a stupid question)?

I see two reasons why an intercooler on a non-turbo engine will probably not improve hp and may actually hurt it. The reason intercoolers help make more hp on turbo engines is that the air going through the turbo gets heated by the turbo so there is a temperature differential between the charged air and the surrounding air cooling the intercooler. On a non-turbo engine there is little to no temperature differential so no hp gain. The second problem is that the IC and tubing are essentially flow restrictors. This is overcome in a turbo application but not in a non-turbo application.

Edited by Hybrid240z

You're gains will be minimal at best, and mostly replaced by the added weight of the intercooler system, I think.

The following numbers come from Diesel engines I work on at work that we thermocouple to hell; your mileage will vary on gas engines, I'm sure.

Air temps out of a turbo hover in the 300-400F range, so an intercooler is necessary to get those back down to something reasonable, like 15ish over ambient temp. 

The gains you are seeing with cooler days are due to the increased density of the air at cooler temps, but probably more-so a butt dyno effect than anything.

Isn't the intercooler for NA drag-racing a bag of ice on the intake manifold?

With the modern glass-filled nylon materials, you probably won't get the same effect but there are probably people cooling other parts of the intake ductwork.

Edited by NewZed

Married? Or are you going to the track? And I thought you sold those Rotas? And I thought you hated trailers? You know if we sat down for a beer, I bet I would do all the talking and you would just walk away shaking your head. You need to hang one of those nut-sacks from that hitch!😜 Is it snowing out there yet?

Married? Or are you going to the track? And I thought you sold those Rotas? And I thought you hated trailers? You know if we sat down for a beer, I bet I would do all the talking and you would just walk away shaking your head. You need to hang one of those nut-sacks from that hitch! Is it snowing out there yet?

Hitched as in hitched up to a trailer. I sold the rota wheels i had slicks on. I don't hate trailers. Hell, I'm building one specifically to pull behind this. The truck nuts might be a good idea!