HybridZ

How much to cut front fender for ZG flare?

tamo3

I'm about install ZG flare. I bought my flare from www.restored.jp

When I test fit the flare, it looks like it way high and I can see the top part of the original fender arche under the ZG flare from the side.

post-25175-0-99990300-1382024634_thumb.jpg

front part and rear part fitment is in the perfect location, I guess.

post-25175-0-19126900-1382024641_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-48983600-1382024839_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-51492800-1382024847_thumb.jpg

I know I should have install coilover and right wheel to find out fitment, but I haven't decide which wheel I should get.

I want to paint body before install front coilover kit.

I'd like to get your advice based on your ZG flare installation!

Thanks,

tamo3

Be careful on the rears. I'd say 90% of people with these flares have them mounted too low in the back. Read the linked threads, particularly Austin's thread here on hybrid z. He had to redo the rears because he mounted the flares where they "look right", which is too low..

Not all the flare is the same shape.

But after researching internet to find several photos of the side view of ZG flare mount, most people mount same way.

post-25175-0-32313500-1382129855_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-69257600-1382129861_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-15809100-1382129868_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-83211500-1382129875_thumb.jpgpost-25175-0-13112900-1382129883_thumb.jpg

Looks like rear flare is mounting higher than front.

However, looking at middle of the body line, i can determine what is the right position of mounting fender flare.

Thanks,

tamo3

Wouldn't the height be different depending on the individual car's spring rate and how they drive?   If you have very stiff suspension and don't track it there's going to be considerably less suspension movement than someone with lowering springs who goes to the track.  I think the individual wheel/tire combo, especially width/offset also plays a big role on what would be considered mounting them "right".

Tyson is right. There's a combination of factors, how low you want the car to be, camber plates, which take a couple inches out of the top but don't stop the suspension from compressing so the wheel will come up further in the well, tire diameter, etc. I would venture a guess to say that most if not all of the cars out there with ZG flares are going to bottom the suspension at one point or another, and most of them are not likely to top out the suspension. Put another way, you don't see ZG flares very often with a stock height suspension under them.

That being the case, the best test is the one that I mentioned before, which was also mentioned in Austin's thread. Take the spring off. Put the wheel and tire on. Jack the suspension up to the bump stop and make sure you have clearance. If the tire hits the body, the options are to install a longer bump stop (a really hard one that will prevent the suspension compressing further, not a Koni or similar foam stop) or to cut the body higher. I end up saying "cut higher" a lot and I'm sure a lot of people think I'm an idiot for it, but you really can't safely rely on what other people do. Your particular combo may require less or more clearance than mine. 

My car uses camber plates (bad for clearance) and I'm going for a very low ride height (bad for clearance) with very stiff springs (good for clearance) with a short 23.5" tire (good for clearance). When the car is at ride height there is probably 2 or 2.5" from the top of the tire to the body. I have a pretty good idea from looking at other cars that were built similarly that I will be using all of my bump travel despite the stiff springs.

post-553-0-05047400-1382210506_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen