HybridZ

123ignition

123ignitionusa

A while back, around Dec 25 2013 a number of forum members were asking about the L6 and using a 123ignition.

It has been accomplished and is available here in the US. Costs were kept lower than originally estimated by having the parts made here in the US. See here at 123ignitionusa http://www.123ignitionusa.com/datsun-conversion.html

post-42457-0-05533000-1391716175_thumb.jpg

Edited by 123ignitionusa

Looks interesting, has it been tried?  Pictures installed?  I notice also in the manual that there are only four settings for full advance below 4500 RPM for the switched unit - 2400, 3000, 3600 and 4000.  I'm not an expert but the L6 seems to like full advance earlier, from what I've been able to figure out.  The tuning options seem limited.

Just trying to add some clarity.  Can't really figure out what's possible from the web site.   You should offer a forum member a unit for evaluation, to get some feedback.

Edit - I downloaded the Tune software and it looks promising.  Draggable advance settings on an easy to view screen.  Pretty cool.

Note also - I don't think that comment on the web page about the injector trigger is correct.  The L-Jetronic ECU uses the coil negative to trigger the injectors and already has electronic ignition.  So it should just see the same thing, no matter what ignition system is used.  For example, the GM HEI module is a pretty common swap for the Nissan module.  No problems.   Might be limiting sales with that comment.  The Tune model should work, I would guess and it's the most desirable.

Edited by NewZed

Note also - I don't think that comment on the web page about the injector trigger is correct.  The L-Jetronic ECU uses the coil negative to trigger the injectors and already has electronic ignition.  So it should just see the same thing, no matter what ignition system is used.  For example, the GM HEI module is a pretty common swap for the Nissan module.  No problems.   Might be limiting sales with that comment.  The Tune model should work, I would guess and it's the most desirable.

A little fyi for you and me

1) What is the all in degrees of advance and at how many RPM for the 240's etc?

2) I wondered about that injector issue. Most Bosch injection systems need the trigger wires. However if the Datsun does not need them then I will take the reference out of the listing as it would be a redundant issue. 

3) Lastly the guys across the pond have been using these for a few years. The Switched unit I picked was based on what they said they were using

Ed

Edited by 123ignitionusa

Considerably cost reduced, and more than economically justified!

Thanks so much for taking the ball and running with it to an end that benefits everybody!

Hope Datsun slugs buck-up for a product head and shoulders above the traditional offerings for aftermarket distributors!

I have talked to the Japanese distributor of the Datsun conversion. He has confirmed that the IE is not useful for Japanese cars.

What is the IE?

I see the following statement on the attached link and don't really understand why it would be the case.  Does the Tune model not like to have other wires on the coil's negative terminal?  The tachometer runs off of coil negative also.  Maybe it's a misconception, an overly broad statement (D-, K- or L-Jetronic) or based on limited information.  Pretty important for any 280Z or 280ZX owners looking at the product.

" Note:Tune models are Not suited for Bosch Jetronic injection systems. But work nicely on the Bosch Mechanically injected motors or carburated models. "

http://www.123ignitionusa.com/tune-models.html

(IE) refers to models that need injector signals for the Bosch Electronic Fuel injection. 

I thought that since the Bosch needed it then other injection systems would need it. But, I stand corrected... Many Volvo, Mercedes and others use them but the TUNE is not equipped to put out the injector signal. I don't know about the specifics but typically we sell the units for use on carburetor equipped cars. And can supply injector input for 123ignitions that have the 16 pre mapped curves in them. When 123Ignition.nl has their forum up and running again I will ask around about the topic of IE inputs.

Anybody have an advance curve to share. In particular what is the max advance and at how many rpm?

Ed

Looking through Cramer and Hoffman's Performance Fuel Injection Systems book I found the statement below on page 64.  The D-Jetronic would likely be the one that doesn't work with the 123Ignition system.  The L- should be fine, I'd guess.

"D-Jetronic EFI --..............used a second set of points in the distributor that created a tach pulse to trigger the fuel injection...."