HybridZ

Rebuilding r200 axles

Not sure how many of you guys have done this, but I need a little help. I disassembled my halfshafts which were pretty well seized up so I had to cut out the u joints. I stripped the cast pieces down and painted them. I've put back together some of them with u joints I ordered from msa. The u joint caps were very tight and required pressing in. I had to order another set of the same product but when they arrived they were spicer joints which they were before and instead of needing to press the caps in they slid right in and now there's a fair bit of slack.

Any ideas?

Could be you got 240Z propeller (aka drive) shaft u-joints instead of driveshaft (halfshaft) u-joints.  I think that they're different sizes.

You should give the part numbers of what you're working with.  Might offer a clue.

The ones that are too small are spicer p161 as far as I can tell. They're too small in the r200 half shafts. The strange thing is that I ordered the exact same product off of msa just at two separate occasions and received two slightly different things. Maybe should I try contacting them?

The halfshafts should be Spicer 51505X, I think.  Can't find a propeller shaft number.  You should call them.  Ask for James, he seems to know what's going on.

You can get the halfshaft Spicer u-joints at most parts stores, if you're in a hurry.  They're fairly common.