HybridZ

240z rear end repair

I have some questions regarding the rear of my 73 240z.

After taking everything apart, is the rear hatch sill suppose to have all those holes in it? if not, should I look into chopping out the back of a another Z and transplanting it, or just trying to fill them with weld or something? Same goes for that missing chunk of the hatch sill which the previous owner chopped out.

post-12254-0-72123800-1488328625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neverdone

I take it you bought it like that? I haven't removed a hatch sill before, but I'm guessing that's where the top piece was spot welded to the bottom piece, and those holes are from him drilling them out. As for the missing piece of hatch sill on the right, you should be able to make a replacement piece pretty easily out of sheet metal.

For the holes, I think I'd get a piece of copper to hold up to the bottom side, and fill them with weld. The weld won't stick to the copper, and should help keep things tidy. Probably not how you're supposed to do it, but it'll get the job done. It looks solid, so I wouldn't bother replacing the whole piece. Probably more work than just filling the holes.

I removed all the parts that could be removed with a screw driver and socket set and scraped off all the inside rubbery crap. The only thing I cut off was the spare tire well.

I think i still have the sill that's not pictured, but it's a rusty pile of garbage.

Pretty sure I need to buy one of these: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02o03c/30-7291