HybridZ

Side Pipes

Guest 77vegasz

There happens to be a sale on sidepipes in the latest Summit catalog. I've been interested for a while, and now im really interested :shock:.

I hope more people chime in on this post before the sale ends..hehe

• 2 months later...
Guest 305240

I've been looking for sidepipes myself. Specifically, the cobra style, not the covered ones. Anyone know of a universal set? I want them in black. I also don't want the header part showing at the front of them. I may have to get my muffler shop to weld me up a set if I can't find any.

I am in the process of installing side pipes on my 78 V8 conversion. They are the 50 inch universal patriot side pipes sold by summit. So far I have them mounted on the car and working on the pipe from the shorty headers to the exhaust inlet. I hope to start the car towards the end of the month and will know how loud they are then. If anyone wants a picture of the installation send me a PM and I will send you a picture. (still haven't figured out how to post a picture here) If anyone wants to install side pipes they will need to fab some 1/8 steel plates, weld on a nut, open a hole in the rocker pannel and weld the plates on. You need this to support the weight of the exhaust. Not hard but sonething you have to plan out.

• 1 month later...
Guest 77vegasz

I have a set of 52" covered sidepipes on my 77. I will post a pic tonight when I get home. I have the car lowered by 1.5" and the side pipes do limit ground learance. I have about 3-4" under the pipe.

To install, I came off the shorty with a 90 degree bend facing rearward, then into a 90 degree bend outward. This brings the out pipe under the frame rail where it is angled upward for more clearance. The hangers attach directly to the sheetmetal on the body, so you will have to put two hole on each side of the Z.

As far as ound, they rumble. The exhaust exits just behind the doors, and can be loud. If you don't like a fairly loud exhaust system, don't install them.

Jon

It must be a Geocities thing, it worked for me.

The sound of the sidepipes are not to loud with out a top.

One can still have a conversation while driving or at idle.

I have pic and if need be I can send through e-mail.

There is also a picture of my car on the group photos.

Adam

Guest gtmattz

There is a guy in my town who has a 260Z hes working on, posts here sometimes but i forget his name, he has sidepipes on his 260.. here are some pictures, i really like the way he is doing it.

btw, not very 56k friendly, big big images

http://www.gtmattz.com/marx260v83.jpg

http://www.gtmattz.com/marx260v82.jpg

hope i dont piss him off by posting these pictures w/out his consent lol.

Actually thanks Matt. I've been meaning to get all my pics posted as well as the story line. They are Dynomax from Summit, mounted in a 4" piece of exhaust tubing welded into the rocker. I took pics of the work in progress. Had to customize the fender to make it removable. Did the same at the turn-out opening in case I ever need to replace the muffler. Sounds good, fired it up for first time Tuesday no rattling. I fashioned some isolaters from the kit to keep everything centered in the tube. Now to get the rest finished. Can't wait to go driving down the Blvd. Seth

• 3 weeks later...

When we did the Tomahawk LT1 swap we had to deal with the sidepipes. The Tomahawk is lowered significantly and the trouble spot turned out not to be the sidepipes themselves but the place where you need to fit them under the frame rails. (Side note: the Tomahawk has openings cut in the fenders for the exhaust to exit so the pipes can be mounted up high, just below bottom edge of the doors.) We ended up notching and reinforcing the frame rails to provide enough ground clearance. We were already doing a bunch of welding to strenghen the frame so a little more didn't matter much.

True Dan the frame rails were a concern, but I'm not lowering the car and there seems to be enough clearance. Steve if you're interested I took pics along the way. I can send 4x6's or a cd. PM me with your snail mail. I just painted it this past week. I won't quit my day job. I'll try to post the pics I took today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Hi i thought id revive this thread as the pictures in this thread don't work for me.

So Wondering if the 50" summit racing side pipes is the right length for the s30.

My 240z rocker/sill length is 61 inch.

And not sure if i should get the 50 inch or 60 inch and trim abit off the bend and tip if needbe.

Is the length measurement on their kits of the actual heatshield itself or the entire system from bend to tip(exit).

Thanks.