HybridZ

Mountiong LS1 into 1971

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry about the late responce. I was rearended on my way home from work in my 72. I'm a little banged up, had to sleep it off. :eek:bonk.gif:confused::mad:

Yes, those are 17 in rims there is a huge spacer between them and the mounting, worries me a bit, don't know how this will affect the wheel bearings. They have 225/45/17 kumho estca supras. The rear spoiler is carbon fiber and aluminum. I bought this car because all of the body work was already done and saved me some major buck$ on my project plan. Plus the guy I bought it from implemented some great ideas.

I plan on running without the cats, I believe it will still run cleaner than the l28.

I will not need the power steering pump but will the rest of the accessories fit between the fender walls? I have talked with Dando's out of San Jose, CA about mounting the engine and trany, They have indicated that they might be able to mount it closer to the fire wall and lower in the engine compartment with their custom mounts. I of course will do the rest. Also are any of you running the Holden or vette manifold? The pics from the LS1 Instalation Guide make it look like they might work better for the install.

"LS1 Installation guide"?? What is this? I'd as where I can get one, but then, I'm almost done....

The Motor could definately go in very low, but at some point you'd hafta use a C5 oilpan. I could lower mine another 2 inches, but the Camaro oilpan is already looking pretty vulerable. Plus, that thing isn't going to just dent if it gets hit.

Also, I didn't worry too much about getting it incredibly far back. Mine is actually about 1/2 inch (or possibly more) forward from where Lonestar1 mounted his. This hurt me for steering interference, but helps me with heat and A/C hoses.

FBody Accessories won't fit with the Datsun motor towers in place.

I bought the LS1 engine kit installation guide from:

Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center

5901 Spur 327

Lubbock, TX 79424

1-800-456-0211 (toll free order line)

1-806-798-4108 (tech line)

Looks like some good information is in the guide. I have not begun the swap yet, but have been researching for several months.

Danny

LS1 Engine Kit Installation Guide (GM Goodwrench part# 88959384) $48 35 pages. It covers the general instalation of a LS1 and 4L60E into what ever. Schematics, Diagrams, Sensor info, alternating parts between C5, Firebird, Camaro. It dosn't talk about not using the Cats! I did inform how any and all of those bolt holes on the sides of the block could be used for custom motor mounts.

!!!

OK. just started the 2001 LS1 swap into the 71 z. Bustin' wrenches now!!!

1 I pulled the old engine and tranny any takers?

2 I set the engine and t56 in car and...

3 exhaust manfolds hit like crazy.. 3/4" on passenger

4 steering may hit engine does not want to got back very far (tunnel)?

5 ac and alt may hit? I removed them but I want them.

Guys we got to stick together, cause the project is HUGE!

thanks for help and encouragement and anwsers

cyrus

These are the solutions I came up with for some of those problems.

1. A small GM alternator will fit high on the passengers side because the head is set back on that side. Stock alternator will not fit in the stock loction. AC seems to fit with my steering but I am doing a PS conversion to the Ford Rack.

2. Exhaust manifolds are problems on both sides. I have a mixed set of headers from Street and Performance that fit with minor modifications. Not cheap, but they are at the going rate for high quality stainless headers with ceramic coating inside and out. Alternatively, you can cut the flanges off and reweld them to the manifolds like Lonestar1 and Jeromio.

3. I cut off the old trans mounts and hammered out the tunnel. The LS1 will go all the way back with some effort.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, my wife and I are expecting a baby in August and so we bought a digital camera . . . So, stay tuned for some pictures of my swap.

Maichor!!!

Good to see you logged in. I was hoping you'd pick up this string and pass on some of the good stuff we discussed last week. I was right about my crazy schedule last week. This week looks a bit better. How does your schedule look Wednesday or Friday afternoon? I'd like to try to get over as early as possible on one of those days if it works with your schedule. Let me know.

hi,

1. I plan to angle mill the exhaust manifolds so they go in some more (mine are cast iron. Also o2 sensor in way .

2. where do you get the small altenator and how do you mount it

3. Do LS1 truck engines have high mounting brackets... that would be cool...

4 how far back is ideal engine placement (T56)

cyrus

The small alternator and brackets can be purchased at Street and Performance, www.hotrodlane.cc or www.tunedport.com . . . It will be worth your time to get a catalog from them.

I don't know where the accessories are on the truck motors. However, you not only need high mounts, they need to be tight or they will hit the strut towers. If you do not have an LS1 yet, you can get a 6.0L truck motor. This motor has an iron block and you can stroke it easier and cheaper than the aluminum block (~$10,000 for a stroked aluminum LS1). The truck motor has a taller intake that may not clear the hood. Also, the pan is a few inches deeper and will need to be changed.

I will have to take a look. We are talking about the motor mount towers, right. I cut off the towers a long time ago so it is hard to remember what it used to look like. Also, you the A/C hits the frame if you don't remove the bracket and move it in 1", I will probably go to a Sandon compressor since the stock camaro is a variable speed that I was told will not work with the Datsun stuff.