HybridZ

Differences between Ca18et and Ca18det???

Hi guys

I was wondering is the single cam Ca basically the same engine as the dohc version. I see a ton of 200sx turbos in the junk yards, Is it possible to put on a dohc head on the single cam version. I was also wondering why do i see so many 200sx turbo cars in the yards. There must be a flaw with the engine since the cars have straight bodies (blown head gaskets??). I always like considering engines that have ample parts available and that are dirt cheap. I dont think i would run the single cam version in my Z it would probaly be a step backwards.

I believe CA18et is sideflow sohc engine with about 120 crank hp.

ca18det is x flow dohc with a bit more.

I dont think much interchanges.

I dont think the s12 200sx was a very appreciated car.

I wonder why a rear wheel drive car like this is liked so little. Corollas are hot but a 200sx that looks like it is not. I think there decent lookin cars. I dont know why they dont have a big following like the corolla. I dont think it would make much of a difference if the sohc was a sideflow and the dohc was crossflow if the blocks are the same. Thats what im really wondering is the block itself the same. I was thinking it would be cheaper just to find the dohc head and the manifolds and whatever other parts i would need and put them on a sohc block.

I read over at the s12 site that it would fit but by the time u bought all the sensors and ecu and all the other crap you would need it would probaly have been cheaper just to get the whole thing. Still a viable option for me since the only parts that would be fairly hard to get would be on the head. I just would hate to get a engine that i would have to order parts from overseas.

well apparently there are a good number of small differences between the CA18E and CA18DE blocks... I'll just copy/paste from a PM if you guys don't mind :D

There are many small differences between the SOHC and DOHC CA series motors, kinda like the KA-E and KA-DE, but swapping is possibly without a major amount of custom work. The guys in England that are making over 250-275 whp with the CA18ET routinely swap to the DET bottom end, and there's several now making around 300+ whp with the DET bottom end and ET head. Why you would do that much work and NOT swap on the DOHC head is a mystery to me though.

The crank snout is smaller on the ET, the head studs are smaller, and the mains are not girdled, those are the main differences I can think of right off. There was a great write-up from one of the UK guys who swapped a DET bottom end in his S12, but it was lost in the [internet] crash we had earlier this year. 023_plain.gif Lost a lot of good info in that one.

well... now that's taken care of, I just have to find that differential thread that I was supposed to get info for :twak:

• 3 weeks later...
I dont think i would run the single cam version in my Z it would probaly be a step backwards.

Any 1.8L motor in a Z would be a step backwards. SR20's are small enough. Your torque would be way down even on boost even if it could make the same HP.

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to bring this back up, it's not that old thou. the DET head isn't worth modding to fit the ET block. i don't remember all the details but far to much work is involved to be plactical. their was something to do with the combustion chamber and stuff about the dizzy. club-s12.org has a thread some were that talks about this. or it did, don't know if it survived the crash we had. we have a member in the club that is right around 300hp over in Boise. he's working on going higher but keeps blowing head gaskets right now. he has built alot of custom performance parts for the 1.8t s12's.

the reason that the s12 is not popular, so say we s12 drivers, is that the AE86 is the main car in Initial D. with that shows growing popularity, more and more people are turning to the 86. if the s12 was put into something and was raised up for it's capability, it would be more comonly used.

as far as the rear end is concerned, the R200 and R180 in the CA cars have a 4.11 gear ratio. the R200 came in the turbo car and the R180 came in the n/a CA20E car. the R200 in the VG powered car has i think a 3.9 gear, something right around their. the whole rear suspention is the same as the z31.