HybridZ
mull

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

Also, thanks everyone for all the positive feedback.

I'm overwhelmed!! Thanks once again, your comments mean

alot to me and everyone that's involved with the project =))

The videos were hilarious' date=' are you a film major? [/img']

If you need parts, just ask! Awesome work, by far some of the best work ive ever seen in my life. Oh, and the 2 finger thing, LMAO!

LOL :D Thanks alot =) No, I'm not a film major - however, I love filming and

do it for a living nowadays. Work for a motorsport magazine - surprise surprise :)

Hey phillip!! It's austin hoke with the blue 240z, weve talked over email a couple times and you helped me out with a place for those pics :) ! Nice to see you on hybrid. Looks like your project has been coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished product. People told me I started with a worthless car when they saw mine i cant imagine what they would tell you!!! Thats some crazy rust work, much repsect for what you have done.

Guest Z Draci

I just finished watching your videos and looking through the pictures. I really admire the work you are putting into the car!

Most people would look at that kind of rust and scrap the car. In Sweden, I guess there isn't much choice but to push forward. I'm really looking forward to your custom composite parts!

Hey phillip!! It's austin hoke with the blue 240z, weve talked over email a couple times and you helped me out with a place for those pics :) ! Nice to see you on hybrid. Looks like your project has been coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished product. People told me I started with a worthless car when they saw mine i cant imagine what they would tell you!!! Thats some crazy rust work, much repsect for what you have done.

Hi Austin! I've been sneeking a peek in the galleries from time to time, checking

out the progress you've made. Good to see it's nearly finished now - big thumbs up!

If you started out with a worthless car - I started out with a... Uh, even

more Worse(worth)less car :)

I just finished watching your videos and looking through the pictures. I really admire the work you are putting into the car!

Most people would look at that kind of rust and scrap the car. In Sweden' date=' I guess there isn't much choice but to push forward. I'm really looking forward to your custom composite parts![/quote']

Thanks! =)

The Z's are pretty rare over here, so didn't have much choice other than to

make the best from what I had. I bond pretty easily to things, and this little

bugger had me from day one - so I moved on from there...

I am doing some restoring with my Z (260) and I am enjoying watching these videos... KEEP THEM COMING. It would be incredibly awesome if you had videos of the project from start to finish.

Thanks for the vids :)

The vids will keep on coming' date=' that's for sure... Thanks :)

WoW!!

I love the video's!!

I can't believe you have the patience!! You rock man!

Yeah well, you know what they say: Patience is a virtue... HAH! It's a necessity! ;)

Short, really short update :)

New videos are on their way. Engine detail is starting its own branch of

the video section, apart from the rust fixing. Here's a ugly screen cap

of the N1 block getting a 0.4mm bore (followed by a 0.1mm honing).

itsablock9ej.jpg

Looks like a crappy hobby garage - it's not. This company's been restoring engines for over 50 years...

Going away for a couple of days now. Hopefully returning with a bunch

of miniDV-cassettes featuring the new frame rails, subframe & mouting

the fuel cell...

Guest 87GLHS232

Wow. I'm almost speechless. I signed up here just to reply to this. I DO love Z's...in fact when I bought my current love (1987 Shelby GLHS) I had narrowed my search to 3 cars...one of them a yellow 240. Maybe next restoration will be a Z.

But...truely inspirational. Your filmography and editing is great. The work on the car is fabulous. I'm blown away. Guess I'll have to have a friend follow me and the Shelby around with my mini DV.

I'm certainly bookmarking this and following it.

Keep up the great work. Your videos are excellent and show how to make the best of a bad situation. Too bad patience is something you either have or don't, but glad you do. I'm sure your car will come out as a superior representation of what can be done, if done right. Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris

Guest tony78_280z
:2thumbs: nice documentation. Keep it comin!!

Guest SC457A

Very nice videos. I admire your dedication.

Seeing that amount of rust really makes me happy I have a basically intact car (well before the "racing additions" IE roll cage/9-inch/tin work.) with only having some mild rust in rockers and quarters.

Once again, thank you so much for all the kind/uplifting/cheerful comments!! :) :)

Here are some pics of the latest and greatest. Video is en route during the week hopefully :)

01_G.jpg

Last picture showing the original... Crap :)

02_G.jpg

...Chop chop...

03_G.jpg

...Buh'bye now :)

04_G.jpg

Mounts stripped from the original frame rails

05_G.jpg

Welded to the passenger side fire wall!

06_G.jpg

Inside/front (passenger side) - sweet stuff :)

07_G.jpg

Johan - guilty - welding deluxe :) He holds a license.

08_G.jpg

Sewing it together...

09_G.jpg

...Subframe's shaping up :)

10_G.jpg

...inside...

11_G.jpg

...welding's done :)

12_G.jpg

Subframe coming along :)

13_G.jpg

Johan + Hugo = true? Either way, he loves his welds :)

14_G.jpg

Floor's been cut and adjusted for welding/grinding :)

15_G.jpg

Cover to keep stock look and to keep dirt out.

16_G.jpg

Moving along... :)

Awesome work! I've learned more about Datsun unibody structure in the last few day by reading your posts than I have over the last 5 years of having my own 240z in various stages of deconstruction. It has been pretty inspirational as well, I spent the entire day in the garage today, for the first time in at least a few months. Keep up the good work!

Mike