HybridZ

painting a car with a roller...

J__

this one says to thin it with fresh water? (in the technical data sheets) http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=91&SBL=2&ddis

it looks like the closest one to what hes talking about' date=' no need to prime and such, acrylic enamel etc... but he said mineral spirits thins it and this says water because its water based. but i bet its the same thing. it says for industrial use only so it must be pretty similar to what the guy was talking about. when i get the chance im going to go try it on my spare door should be this weekend. ill let you all know.[/quote']

I'm no RacerX, but how would using a water based paint on bare metal be a rust preventative? :confused:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been planning to turn my car into a track car since as a result of the accident. I cut off the bad fender Saturday and I'm driving it down to a body shop this week. So I'm gonna give it a shot unless there are some negative developments with the results you guys get or the body shop.

My take on it goes like this. I want to drive my car like I stole it. Cheap paint that still looks good is ok with me. I have a car port.

Good Luck and post some pics :twisted:

Isk

Ok this is a little off topic but I think you'll appreciate it.

I was reading more of the thread and came across this coment.

I'm saving this one, it should be put in the archives! thumbs.gif

Then the reply of the next guy.

Lol oh man if this makes the archives think of guys from other boards laughing at us. "How to paint your car with a roller". How redneck does that make Moparts sound.

OMFG that is halarious. We should totaly make it a sticky here!!!

Isk

I looked at the dried paint mixing samples today, and surprisingly the orange doesn't look half bad now. 4 parts of the #7747 Sunburst Yellow to one part of #7762 Surise Red makes a pretty close match to the color of that guys charger, "Real Orange". It's maybe a little dull, not sure how to brighten up the mix except maybe to use a brighter shade of yellow for mixing. The paint I got at home depot is the protective enamel, listed under the Stops Rust lineup on the rustoleum website. The can says to thin with mineral spirits, and hopefully this would help it to harden a little more than un-thinned paint, because my sample spots are still pretty soft.

The metallics all look like crap. I guess thats what I get for painting the spots with a bamboo skewer.... The aluminum color seperates too much from the base colors. Spraying is probably the best option for the metallics. Realistically, I would rather spray any of these colors rather than roll, just to get more even coverage. It is cool to have a good source of cheap paint though. I wonder how this stuff would spray out of a cheapo electric airless sprayer?

My only concern with these paints would be their ability to stand up to bright sunlight. The flat black rattle can rustoleum that I painted "The Turd" with last year is not holding up well in the Tucson sun at all. I rinsed off the car last time I was out there and I could see a lot of black running off in the water. The paint on the upper surface of the car has become very thin, and rubs off with just a little pressure on a rag.

Hey guys, a few years back I bought a can of this stuff in a satin black to paint my interior (under carpet). It's very thick right out of the can, and dries to a very durable surface. I just applied it with a paint brush, didn't wet sand. It does like to self level. I didn't do very much prep work, just wanted the coverage.

I have another Z car that could use some paint. Was thinking of doing a BRE paint job look alike. Since I primarily use the car for off road fun I think this would be perfect. I bet after you finish one of these jobs you'll be a wet sanding master.

DSCF1116.JPG

Look foward to seeing someone do something shiny

looks good tony240t. and matt i have no clue how water based would be rust preventative it just says it is. but im with toplessz and the stuff tony is using. anything is better than my PO's POS "primer" job. this guy just sprayed primer all over a perfectly golden painted car. not to mention he left loads of bondo and newspaper in random places. sorry for the confusion on the water based stuff tho. now that i look at it. the alkyd enamel is mineral spirits based like toplessz was talking about so i think thats what we are looking for.

And here is the reply.

Good afternoon Chris Jones

Thank-you for contacting Rust-Oleum Consumer Brands Canada

The Tremclad paint is sold only in Canada, it is not sold in the United States.

There is an equivalent in the U.S which is the Rustoleum stop Rust paint.

Yo can call the United states at 1-800-323-3584 for more info on this product.

If you have any other questions please contact us at 1-800-387-9879.

Regards,

Rust-Oleum Canada Technical Support

I kind of figured as much. It's weird that they don't offer it in the same colors as the Tremclad. If you can't tell already, I'm pretty hung up on that orange color :)

I think I'll try thinning this stuff enough to spray and do some more experimenting this weekend.

Mike

Go to the Rustolem web site and click on the industrial tab at the top go to high performance and check out the different paints there. They have some that you can use a tint with. They also list out the Enamels Acrylics, Urathane's and such. The one that sparks my intrest is at the bottom, the 9400 series.

Has anyone tried to order the stuff off the Canadian website or a supplier?

I would just be concerned about the chemical proerties being different regardless of what they tell you.

Isk

If you look back through the Mopar site threads there are a few links to Rustoleum Canada and you can click a tab for Tremclad and there are different color chips than the US Rustoleum colors. Choose the basic blue, gray, etc from the left table and several shades of each color come up. It's possible that the Tremclad is a non-US formula due to different EPA regs, etc.

A good excuse for a Canadian ski trip for me.

Hmmm. Interesting. Probably loaded with asbestos, mercury, and uranium for better adhesion :) I mixed up some orange tonight using the sunburst yellow and sunrise red from the stop rust paint. It thins out very well with mineral spirits. I used an airbrush to spray mine on, since I only did a small 10" test square. Call me chicken, but I can't see myself being able to pull this off with a roller..... Anyway, it sprays very nicely, with not much of a smell at all. Thinning with mineral spirits makes for a very pleasant spraying experience. The paint dries to the touch in about an hour, hopefully I'll be able to wet sand tommorrow and throw on another coat. If this turns out well, I may do the 240 in orange, and just use duracoat for the bumpers and trim parts that would normally be chrome. I'll post some more crappy cell phone pics later.

Mike

The first coat cured overnight, and I was able to wet sand with 1000 grit and put on another coat. I'm pretty impressed with how this paint sprays when thinned out. It should take 3 or maybe 4 coats max to get really good coverage, but overall I think this is very do-able for painting the entire car. Now I just need to determine how much paint it will take to cover the Z 4 times. Pics to follow as soon as I wet sand the second coat.

Mike