painting a car with a roller...

J__

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll try it! Sounds Awesome! Cheap and easy, that's my kind of formula! As soon as my car is ready for paint I'll try it ...unfortunately ya'll might be waiting a while!

Spray paint.... my hood is SPRAY PAINT!!!!! Flat black.... Chalk board... spraypaint.... I stole the idea off my friends x-boyfriend... he did an ENTIRE VW GOLF in Flat black Spray on Chalkboard... and it LOOKED NICE....

The problem would be the lint/fibers the would come off the roller and putting on an even coat.

I guess you can wet sand the lint and then just buff it.

Hhhhmmmm In thinking if trying it, or at least try to experiment on something.

a high density roller doenst have fibers. its like that sponge material girls (or guys depending on profession) use to put on foundation. the white triangular ones. very VERY fine grained and small holes. no fibers

i have done this on a few body panels (not whole car) and it does work great.

its pretty much the same method as doing pinstriping. got to thin it out really well and just paint away.

its the wetsanding that really makes it look great, it really looks like crap just before you sand. you'll say "oh man what did i do".. but then after wet sanding it the 1st time you'll say "oh wow im good".. haha.

just be sure to use the right paint and correct roller.

they also have brushes using the same type of foam that you can get in the hard to reach places that the roller cant reach.

i would tape up the belt moldings and etc or just take the easy to take off parts well.. off.

have fun guys!

mike

This should work great with all the enamel impliment paints that are sold at TSC hardware stores etc. Made by valspar. Not going to be a great 10,000 dollar 3 stage job but will definatly do for a driver or racecar. I have been contemplating this for a long time. Someone please let us see some results. I was thinking about going this route with the satin black on one car but now that I think about it there are other colors I would love to try.

im looking for another Z hood to fool with.. like flames and etc.

if i find one ill do the roller method and take step by step pics.

anybody in houston have a spare 280Z hood that doesnt need a ton of body work for a good price??

mike

One of my friends said his friend used a paintbrush. It looks ok. I would think it would be a pain to sand after though.

(roller)Would you have to wet sand even more than if you were to spray it? I would think you still have to do this in a booth of somekind, am I right?

One of my friends said his friend used a paintbrush. It looks ok. I would think it would be a pain to sand after though.

(roller)Would you have to wet sand even more than if you were to spray it? I would think you still have to do this in a booth of somekind' date=' am I right?[/quote']

Im not sure but if you read what the guy posted in the link, one reason he did that was to avoid sparying and all the things that come with it.

But haven't I heard a lot of you guys flaming rustoleum products here? It seems like a really easy and fairly fast approach. But what of the paint choice?

Plus to add to that, what of coverage? I'm sure there are issues with trying to get paint in certain spots that spraying would get easily.