HybridZ

Tunnel Dimension Question...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have the framing for my firewall all tubed in and now my thoughts are wandering toward the transmission tunnel. I want to know where you usually have to hammer a stock tunnel to make the T56 fit. I really don't want to make a nice new tunnel only to find out that I have to hammer it. What are the dimensions I should be shooting for?

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

P.S.: Pics will be up on my website soon....

The drivers side is fine, the passenger side nearest to the engine comparment and back about 1 1/2 ft I banged in the tunnel about 1 1/2 inches. To be on the safe side I would widen the drivers side 1 inch from stock and the passenger 2 inches from stock.

Mikes Measurements are about right. I noticed that I really didn't need to do much to mine after the fact, but hammered it anyway. The drivers side is wide enough, but the passenger's side is a tight squeeze.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

I framed up the new tunnel today out of 1" .065 wall DOM tubing. The bottom of the tunnel on the firewall is 19" wide and 16" above that it is 14.5" wide. This should allow for plenty of room. I think I'm going to center the engine when the time comes so it will put the tranny in the center of the tunnel instead of off to one side.

SpencZ

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The tunnel is hard to explain by itself because it is part of a complete spaceframe unit. It basically will be 4 1" .065wall tubes running fore-aft down the centerline of the car. The tubes are supported by triangulated sections made of 1/2" dia .055"wall tubing. The construction of the tunnel will start in a couple weeks and pics will be up on my webpage soon after. I will let you know when they are up so you can have a visual reference.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm