HybridZ
Duke

250 GTO Owners Thread

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

FOG LIGHTS: Does anyone know where I can find the correct ones?

Boy from Oz    11

Mike- You have to decide how authentic you want it to be. I know that Dick has gone all the way with lights etc but I don’t see the value in it in my case. While I want it to look like a GTO and certainly to go like one I also want to drive it extensively so I expect things will break or be broken and I don’t want it to be off the road for too long or my bank account to be emptied. For example I am using the stop/tail and parking lights from the Landrover Discovery. I picked up a couple of fog lights (driving lights) cheap on ebay after measuring the size of the openings in my bodywork. I think the openings might vary from kit to kit so you need to check.

I have not been able to locate any side indicators that match the GTO shape so I will be buying them from England for 27 pounds. Santa gave me a couple of GTO books and I have had a read over the break. It seems that no two similar GTOs were ever built so it’s somewhat impossible to create an exact replica anyway. Oh, by the way I managed to obtain one Honda lock – one to go!

I actually did some work on my project and built the rotisserie. It had been thirty years plus since I last welded and I forgot to cover up. I have flash burns over arms and legs … I’m loving it! What is it they say, “no pain no gain”. I’m building up a real affinity with this car.

If you haven't already seen this you might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFfx6kdiNyM

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

B from O... Cool video of a NICE GTO. Does it belong to one of our members?!:eek2:

I was hoping there was a fast/easy/no-brainer answer to the lights. I actually have two that fit but they're mismatched. I'll just look for another set this size. I'm not looking for anything that precise. If I was worried about authenticity, I would save a couble hundred thousand bucks (never in my lifetime) and have a true "replica" built. Since this is a kit car, I'm not really that concerned. Besides, the Chevy V8 is a dead give-away anyway:biggrin:

Con Brio    0

Hey guys. How many of you out there had to or chose to modify the 250 GTO body molds? I've had to raise the centre of my hood about 2 inches to accomodate the taller intake manifold associated with my EFI. Although the car is originally an Alpha One the front clip was replaced with a Vela Rossa one piece hood. Kind Regards

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

I've considered raising my hood hump a bit but, once I have the engine remounted with the JTR kit, I think I'll have enough room for the dual quads. Some of the GTO's had taller humps anyway. As you know there were several versions made.

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

250 GTO Shirts or Light Jackets...

Is anyone interested in Polo shirts, T-shirts, or lightweight jackets with a 250 GTO theme? I'm not looking to make any money (not enough sales). Maybe these could include Datsun and/or hybridz info too. I'm just judging interest before I spend any time drawing up designs.

SpeedRacer    16

Admins - I think the last "Here comes trouble" post (and this post) should be moved to the "250 GTO Door Buttons" thread as they are both related to that subject.

I agree with Peter and I think the Honda lock is a much more elegant solution that more closely replicates the original GTO door button than the MG version does. The fabricated door mechanism seems to have a few people confused but it is really quite simple. There is a bracket that holds it to the door using the original door handle bolt holes. On one end of that bracket is a round sleeve that the Honda door button cylinder slides in to. The only moving part changes the horizontal motion from the Honda door button plunger to the vertical motion required to operate the original Datsun door latch by connecting to the stock Datsun adjustable push rod.

BTW, thanks for the great pictures Here comes trouble and they will help explain my modifications.

Please note that on the pictures you can see a long rectangular raised boss on the side of the Honda door lock. The Honda lock cylinder slides in the round part of the fabricated bracket and is held in by a standard door lock clip. I ground a square notch in the round retaining tube on the bracket so this boss on the cylinder will slide into the notch and prevent the cylinder for rotating. Check out the pictures of original GTO's and you will see that some have the finger pull pointing down and other ones have them pointing rearward. So it's your choice where to put the notch.

I also filed that same rectangular boss on the cylinder down with a small round file next to the head. I then picked up a couple of black "O" rings at the local hardware store that would just slide over the cylinder. These O-rings act as a compression point to keep the clips tight, take up any irregularities in the door panel, seal the lock to door area and provides a finished look.

And last, you can use the stock door lock clips but they are very hard to install. I fabricated my own clips out of 1/8†piano wire. This allowed me to slide the clips down over the cylinder from the back side instead of trying to slip the clip in sideways.

When complete, it looks great and functions very well.

Mike.I am still shooting in the dark on these latches.One set is for the GTO and the other is for the Tomahawk Z Cobra. I will look for more Honda trunk latches. The Pacific Northwest does have a few of these CVCC cars and the latches do come avaiable from time to time. I still have to trial fit and trim the mechanisims to a door. I have a junk Z I will take the doors off for this purpose. There were a set of rusted Z doors I scrapped and would have been great to have the section of door skin to fit the latches. Bill Y Not (originator of this thjread) had a set of latch mechanisims for sale. You could contact him.

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

Hey O'L TIMER... Isn't DUKE the originator of this thread? Who has the latches for sale?

LOL.......................I am on the wrong thread page. Mike go to the "Honda push button" thread and Bill "Y Not" had a set of the Rube Goldberg latch gizmos for sale. As Speedracer sez they are not that complicated (once i am on the right page....is this March or July ?). I decided to pull the door off the Tomahawk z to fit the attachment part that fastens the gizmo to the door and locate the position of the actuating lever. Not much of a throw but probably does not take much to release the Z door latch

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

Hah!! I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one here losing my memory. This is actually FEBRUARY, Ol' Timer. Sheesh... can't you keep track of the months here in good ol' 1997?!

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike

Has anyone with the Alpha 1 style front end ever modified/converted to a one-piece tilt nose? If so, did they document their work... and do you know where it's posted?

Boy from Oz    11

Mike - Sorry I can't help there but you have reminded me of a bodywork question I have.

My kit is of unknown origin to me but the hinge mounts on the bonnet (hood) look very purpose built. Does anyone recognise the kit from the mounts and do you know if the mounts are designed for a specific hinge? Thanks.

GTO bonnet 002_thumb.jpg

SpeedRacer    16

Hi Peter,

It looks like your kit is based on the original Alpha 1 GTO. The hood hinges (if you want to call them that) for it are really poor. They are comprised of a piece of channel iron with a tab welded to it on the top. There are two holes in the channel iron to mount it where the stock Datsun hood hinge mounted on the inside of the front fender well. There is also a hole drilled in the tab on top of the channel iron and in that tab of fiberglass hanging down from the hood. You simply run a bolt w/locknut through the two holes. I had a pair but I’m pretty sure they went to the junkyard a long time ago.

Instead, I used mid 60's Corvette hinges on mine as they are very simple and easy to find, at least in the USA. I built up a supporting block on the underside of the hood and captured a drilled and tapped metal plate inside. I then built a triangulated pad that bolted to the front inner fender where the original hinge bolted. The pad has two bolts welded that point upwards so the hinge slides down over them and they are held in place buy standard nuts and lock washers. Now the hood hinges are precise, adjustable and the hood stays aligned.

If you decide to try my way I’ll take some pictures for you.

Speed

SpeedRacer    16

Mike,

The original Alpha 1 GTO kit had horrible fit problems with the front end and hood. Unless you did a huge amount of work the fit was pretty poor. When Tom McBurnie got the kit from Joe Alphabet he redesigned the whole front end. To help solve the fitment problems he moved the hood back and used Corvette hood hinges attached to the radiator core support.

John Washington http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html solved the problem by converting the Alpha nose to a clam shell design so there was no nose, fender, hood alignment problems. I do know quite a few guys who went from the VR tilt type nose to the Alpha & McBurnie front end so it shouldn't be to hard to go the other way. Tom over at Scorpion Z Cars http://www.scorpionzcars.com did one a little while ago.

Sorry but I have to ask, why do you want the tilt front end?

Boy from Oz    11
mid 60's Corvette hinges ... as they are very simple and easy to find, at least in the USA.

If you decide to try my way I’ll take some pictures for you.

Speed

Dick - thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the Corvette hinges on e-Bay. I would appreciate the any images you have of your set-up. I'll e-mail in the next few days but progress has fluctuated between very very slow and non-existent.

Guest Mike   
Guest Mike
...why do you want the tilt front end?

Mine needs some work and I figured I might as well go full guns. A tilt front end will do 2 things... (1) provide very easy access to the engine compartment, and (2) clean up all the seams between the disparate parts. I realize that the orignal GTO had seams but the ones on the kit cars aren't exact anyway. So I figured "what the heck". It's just something I'm considering... want to keep all my options open.

SpeedRacer    16

Pete - I don't know what that thing on the right is but yes, the two hood hinges shown in the left are the ones you need. The larger pad bolts to the hood and the smaller side on the fender bracket.

I'll have some pictures for you later today. I'll do my best but my engine compartment is painted black and they are in a difficult place.