HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Hello, anyone out there know of any of these 250 body kits that are never going to be finished? I have a 73 240 that I am making mechanically strong, and the body is nasty, and this would be a great opportunity to do the body over with this kit. Would like to hear from some of you who have suffered through this conversion and educate me on what I am getting into. Thanks in advance. Oh, I am in Hopkinsville, KY, have a nice big shop and have wanted to do this conversion for lots of years, never got around to it. What do you think of the roadster model?

Hi Jagster,

I love the roadster. I'm about four years into my build. You can see what I've been doing at my build thread.... http://forums.hybrid...lle-velo-rossa/

I chose the Velo Rossa kit from Reaction Research. http://www.kitcarz.com/ The owner, John Washington, is a great guy. He's been very helpful answering any questions I've had through my build and several years before I even purchased my kit. I'm not a Ferrari purist when it comes to my project, so I'm free to experiment with different looks.

As far as unfinished kits, most of the ones I've seen are already mounted to donor cars. I have seen just the body kit on Craigslist, but only once, several years ago. I know the price for a new VR kit has gone up recently, but I still think it's a bargain compared to others.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the VR kit. Take a look at my thread and let me know what you think.

Wes

post-4015-026399000 1301160109_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Long time lurker recently joined the forum. Although I can't see most of the pics posted here, the ones I can see are great and have kept me going a long time. I just bought a car that became available locally and am getting it back on the road. Has anyone found an elegant way to attach a front license plate - the big rectangular North American ones? Local police are fairly good a spotting non-compliance. :(

Gary

Hello,

Long time lurker recently joined the forum. Although I can't see most of the pics posted here, the ones I can see are great and have kept me going a long time. I just bought a car that became available locally and am getting it back on the road. Has anyone found an elegant way to attach a front license plate - the big rectangular North American ones? Local police are fairly good a spotting non-compliance. :(

Gary

You can do what some of the Europians have done and paint it on the nose. Just kidding, that won't pass the local LEO's anyway. ;)

Don't put a plate on it. I haven't run a front plate on any of my cars for 30 years now. I keep it in the trunk or under a seat. I've been stopped twice in all those years for no front plate. I show the cop the plate and tell him I'm waiting for the mounting bracket to arrive in the mail. "O.k., get it taken care of ASAP." I've never been cited. And I live in California, the land of aggressive auto regulation enforcement.

Don't put a plate on it.

That seems to be the preferred route. I have yet to see a photo of a N. American 250 GTO with a front plate and I am still looking (just to see how they went about it). I'm hearing lot's of people getting tickets locally though as it's a big revenue generator (bridge tolls, red light cameras, etc).

Gary

I'll have to ask a Viper owner how much the fine is. :rolleyes:

It's very disappointing that so many of the photos, illustrations and attachments have recently become unattainable on this thread. I trust the situation can be rectified.

I thought it was just me. I've sent off a message to administrators.

Edited by Fauxre

It's very disappointing that so many of the photos, illustrations and attachments have recently become unattainable on this thread. I trust the situation can be rectified.

I thought is was just me being a new member. I just accidentally discovered, though, that the pics seem to be available with the search function. For me, many of the pics here show up just as links in this thread and when I click on them, a board message appears saying I don't have permission to view them. Today I was searching "headlight trim" in the 250 GTO thread (I want to replace mine this winter) and many , it not all, of the previously unviewable pics appeared!

Don't ask me why, but it seems if you can't see a photo, search with a key word from the post, and it may appear in the search results.

Edited by C Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to the admins and IT folks - looks like it's all systems 'go'.

I have made up a papier mache door to try and see if a smaller door would work in proportion with the rest of the bodywork. It seems fine so I might now start work on a real door.

'chelle' - I've taken onboard your suggestion of a higher rocker panel as well as reducing the door height itself. I'm just seeking clarification from the approving engineers down here whether or not they will allow it.

On the photo I've painted the rocker black and continued the paint line to the front and rear panels. I think it assist in giving a longer, squatter appearance.

post-1266-096696300 1304416891_thumb.jpg

post-1266-091853700 1304416906_thumb.jpg

post-1266-085465500 1304416919_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

Hello, anyone out there know of any of these 250 body kits that are never going to be finished?

jagster,

While surfing today, I came across this that might interest you:

Alpha kit FS

It appears to be in Florida. No connection with the seller, but I'd love to see that manual.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At $14,000 I started to weep when I read that ad. Mine has just ticked over $37,000 and it will never have a nose and tail as good as the Scorpion kit. Not to worry it's the kids' inheritance I'm spending!

A few more updates. I have filled in the old vents on the front panel ready to cut new ones (smaller and back a bit more) I have the new fibreglass doors and I'm starting to modify them and the relocated coils on the LS1 are finished with Ferrari like tubes carrying the leads. The fuel tank is made.

post-1266-022135300 1309144840_thumb.jpg

post-1266-025483800 1309144987_thumb.jpg

post-1266-016329400 1309145069_thumb.jpg

post-1266-074283200 1309145144_thumb.jpg

I didn't cry... but depression did set in for several days. I'm at just under $10K and no where near even firing the engine.

Some very ambitious mods to those doors. I spent a lot of time and energy doing my front end mods, and the results aren't nearly as dramatic as yours. $37K is a lot of money, but clearly the quality of the final product will be superior.

Love the custom gas tank. Is it a replica of the original GTO tank?

...Love the custom gas tank. Is it a replica of the original GTO tank?

No, in fact it's quite a long way off. I had to fit huge rear mufflers for our registration requirements and even though I plan to swap them after registration I had to have the tank fit in with them. I'm doing away with the original filler location and relocating it behind the numberplate.

By the way, I am coming to the US to be at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August as there will be over 20 250GTOs on display. Is anyone else going?

post-1266-034408500 1309151481_thumb.jpg

post-1266-039686800 1309151604_thumb.jpg

post-1266-040510300 1309151631_thumb.jpg

post-1266-061575300 1309152055_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz

No, in fact it's quite a long way off. I had to fit huge rear mufflers for our registration requirements and even though I plan to swap them after registration I had to have the tank fit in with them. I'm doing away with the original filler location and relocating it behind the numberplate...

l'll be mounting a tank in the same location, to allow for dual exhaust and mufflers. An inexpensive '55 Chevy tank has the dimensions I'm looking for, with a filler neck and sending unit mount conveniently located. Just ordered my LeMans style gas cap a couple of days ago.

... I am coming to the US to be at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in August as there will be over 20 250GTOs on display. Is anyone else going?

I've never been to the Concours d'Elegance and I'll miss it again this August. But I'll be there two weeks later... our son is getting married on the beach in Carmel, about three miles away.

As I mentioned in a post above, I bought a car with the 250 GTO body. It's a 1975 280Z with an Alpha kit (I think) and was converted in 1992.

gallery_18647_967_3840.jpg

Not doing it the right way like everyone else here and building it myself - I'm doing it backwards. I keep finding things that need fixing and most of the time have to mentally reverse-engineer how the original builder went about it and learn as I go. I have the JTR manual that was used for the V8 upgrade, but not the one that came with the fiberglass body. Once the "need to fix now" items are done, things I would like to do:

- rear disc brake conversion

- 15 inch Dayton wire wheels to replace the wire hub caps (and tires to go with them $$$)

- re-do the head light covers (cracking) and a proper metal trim

- replace the turbo 350 transmission with a good manual one (way down the list)

Present dilema - window roller was found broken on the driver's side. I have the new part, but can't get the stainless steel trim off the door (the roller attaches to this trim).

Classic Z Car thread

The FSM says the outer trim (with the window squeegee) can be pried off with a screw driver, but that's for a stock S30. Trying that, the inner part comes off, but the outer part seems glued to the fiberglass skin on the door. Before I wreck it, does the installation of this window trim on the 250 GTO door skin call for an adhesive?

CP

..Not doing it the right way ...

I'm inclined to think you are doing it the right way!

The outer fibreglass skin is glued to the original door skin so you have quite an increase in thickness on that top ridge. The body kit assembly instruction are fairly basic and wouldn't go into such fine points as to how you deal with the thickness issue, it's up to each builder. Yours is probably glued as you suggest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

My name is dave and to state the obvious I am new here.

I've been drooling over these GTO's since the first article about the Alpha (or was it the Eagle) showed up in Kit Car magazine back in the 80's... I had long thought the kits had been discontinued, until I happened upon the Velorossa.

I tend to like the original coupe's looks MUCH better, so I'm thinking that is the route I will eventually take, but the actual footsteps along that path have yet to be determined. It would lovely to take a page from Robert Frost and wherever two paths converge in the woods take the lesser used path, but practicality and good sense often preclude reinventing the wheel.

I'm no Buddhist, but the middle path still has appeal, and hopefully results in a finished project one day.

So I gather info, and dream of GTO's while driving my minivan while getting my life to a place where such a project is feasible.

I've been reading through this forum and it is a gold mine! I'm less than halfway through but felt powerfully compelled to jump to the end and chime in! now back to where i left off to obsessively read the rest.

I'll save my questions until I get back here the hard way.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

New member, but have been reading the forum for a while...I just picked up a Velo Rossa kit for a deal,$1000.new....3 days after i got the kit, i found a rust free 72 Zcar from Oklahoma for $900 and sold all the extra stuff that came with it for $400...so im in the whole thing cheap...

Plans are LS1 with a 6 speed..doing it as a coupe...

Heres the craiglist add and pics..Ill get pics of the Zcar later...

Ive actually looked at 3 partially built cars in the last year, and just wouldn't pull the trigger...luckily, it just all came together like it was meant to be..

-------------------------------------------------

Ferr@ri look alike- Car Kit - $1000 (Prairie Village)

Date: 2011-06-18, 6:32PM CDT

Convert any 1970 thru 1978 240Z, 260Z, or 280Z to a beautiful GTO sports car! This car is not a Ferrari 250 GTO. The kit will not fit any ZX or 2+2.

Full fiberglass body shell, basic conversion parts and complete instruction manual for Velo Rossa style by Reaction Research.

This is a kit for the conversion of 240Z, 260Z and 280Z Nissans, to a design based on those beautiful red Italian cars of the 60s and 70s. This is a very similar but sleeker car you saw in the 1986 movie "Ferris Bueller's Day off".

For details on the kit, original prices and great picture of the finished product I would urge serious buyers to go to their website reactionresearch.com and click on automotive, then, look at the many other completed Velo Rossa kits.

kit.jpg

kit1.jpg

Edited by marxjunk

..doing it as a coupe...

From what I can see the rear section you have is for a Spyder... This is what you need for a Coupe (berlinetta).

(edit) On second thoughts it may have a universal application.

As far as I know John Washington has these sections but I believe that Thunder Ranch also have them.

post-1266-086523600 1311957965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boy from Oz