#141 aziza z

aziza z

DEFCON 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • LocationCosta mesa CA

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Never did update this thread. Heres is what i ended up with. After 3 track days, im happy with it (for now). Added brake ducts and front splitter as well.

with brake ducts-
Posted Image

before the brake ducts -
Posted Image

grill still hides everything when its not on track duty-
Posted Image

Posted Image

mock up -
Posted Image

brake ducts (while it was under construction)
Posted Image

front spitter (still needs to be finished a bit better, i dont like the current fitment)-
Posted Image

Ill get better pictures for you guys.

Edited by aziza z, 17 January 2011 - 06:04 PM.

DO NOT BUY FROM JUSTIN HODGES (z force productions). Do you like s****y parts? Do you like paying too much? Do you like the chance you may not get your part? Do you like dealing with scum who will take your money and ignore you? if so, z force productions is for you. http://forums.hybrid...showtopic=78635

#142 Bartman

Bartman

Avenger of Evil

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1762 posts
  • LocationCorona, CA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

Never did update this thread. Heres is what i ended up with. After 3 track days, im happy with it (for now). Added brake ducts and front splitter as well.

Matt,
With the testing you've done are you able to say that the ducting has actually succeeded in making your car run cooler? I've been playing with this for a while, and I'm not convinced I've been able to get it to run any cooler than it does without any ducting whatsoever.

362.2 RWHP, 398 RWTQ
LT1 & T56, Q45 LSD, Stage IV Heads, custom grind cam, roller rockers, dual 2.5" exhaust
Wheels are 18x8.5 F, 18x9.5 R
gallery_824_764_11407.jpg

#143 JMortensen

JMortensen

Retired Admin.

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12398 posts
  • LocationSeattle area, WA

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

You're running AZC brakes, right? If so, your vent should feed air into the center of the brake disk. I think the way you have it set up the vent blows on the inside rotor face, which can cause problems.

Jon Mortensen, owner/operator www.petdoorstore.com

#144 Oddmanout84

Oddmanout84

Blank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationMy Garage, Massachusetts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

I'll bite. This has been in the back of my mind for a long while, and just entered into my personal "skunkwerks" production last night. I had to do SOMETHING with all these empty boxes from Summit piling up!!! Its obviously not done, not even to the prototype phase. Plans are to make it out of sheet aluminium, maybe a fiberglass model. I would have liked to weld sections of it together, but I only have the ability to weld steel. So I'll probably end up using clecos, pop rivets and/or maybe some countersunk bolts.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The intercooler as you can see rests on a piece of steel bar stock. This was the original way I mounted it when I first swapped the L28ET in the car. I'm retaining that bar stock, but cutting out the middle section inwards of the lower intercooler mount bosses. Then I'll reweld sections of it to the lower rad support in a triangle shape. In the void created, I'll be mounting a low profile oil cooler in a "V" angle in relation to the intercooler (clearance issues, especially with the -10 inlet/outlet).

Posted Image

I'm also thinking about enlarging the hole on the right side of the radiator support (below where I pass my intercooler plumbing) to pass plumbing for a cold air intake. The filer will be about half the size shown protruding into the ducting. Of course, it will be sealed in.

Posted Image

The whole idea of the design is to block off the upper portion of the grill as others have done, but also retain a stock look from a distance. So I've designed it to fit neatly behind the stock 240z upper grill. I originally was going to drill out the spot welds and remove the 280z turn signal brackets, but they work PERFECTLY for mounting this setup

Edited by Oddmanout84, 06 March 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#145 Zmanco

Zmanco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1570 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, Colorado

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

So based on the testing on my setup, it made my car run hotter. Has anyone actually decreased their operating temperatures using a very small inlet with steep angles? While I think that some ducting can be helpful, it can actually hurt if done incorrectly. I made shorter ducts with less of an angle to avoid unwanted turbulence, os I hope I get beter results with this setup.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bartman, as we were discussing in another thread, I have a similar situation. What was the outcome of this second version of your ducting? And what did you finally settle on for a solution?
Daniel
'73 240Z

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#146 Bartman

Bartman

Avenger of Evil

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1762 posts
  • LocationCorona, CA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

Bartman, as we were discussing in another thread, I have a similar situation. What was the outcome of this second version of your ducting? And what did you finally settle on for a solution?

My current setup is essentially identical to the cardboard mockup I posted pictures of. I'm very happy with the results and it seems to have noticeably brought down my operating temperature. In conjunction with the ducting I have functional fender vents with fans to force hot air out of the engine compartment, and I'm installing an even bigger 4 row radiator.
Posted Image
Posted Image

362.2 RWHP, 398 RWTQ
LT1 & T56, Q45 LSD, Stage IV Heads, custom grind cam, roller rockers, dual 2.5" exhaust
Wheels are 18x8.5 F, 18x9.5 R
gallery_824_764_11407.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users