HybridZ

Convection Microwave Cooking Opinions?

RTz

• Administrators

My wife has an interest in a convector microwave. I'd be happy to oblige her wish, but I'm a little skeptical. Anyone have first hand experience with convective cooking microwaves? Can 'real' food be cooked well with these... steak, roast, fish, baked potatoes, etc.?

• Administrators
Doesn't convection just mean it has a circulation fan? The heat comes from the microwaves exciting the water molecules in the food to cause the heat...so a fan would just be blowing mildy warm air around? LOL

I call a blinker fluid on this one.

I guess you missed this part :mrgreen:...

Anyone have first hand experience with convective cooking microwaves?

Ron,

I do have experience. It is the same as a convection oven...trust me it cooks a lot better. Convection microwave would mean that your food would be as hot all over and not burning on the side and frozen in the middle. I am waiting for the prices of conv. Microwave to come down and get myself a another one. (I give the one I had to my parents to try it out, needless to say I won't see it again!!)

If it's the same as what we used to have, it works great. Ours was convection AND microwave all in one. You could use it either or. I made the best apple turnovers in convection mode. In mocrowave mode it was, a regular microwave. You could also combine the two functions to get fast cooking but still crispy cooking from the convection part. If it's a good model, you will like it. Don't skimp. Ours lasted about 15 years until the magnetron got too weak to boil a cup of water in three minutes. I believe ours was a SHARP brand.

My wife started cooking dinners in the nuke, I found it too cheap and easy, said something, did not go over well.

I find that cooking is plesure and should not be rushed if time is avalible.

(this dose not mean it has to be in a wood cook stove, my house still has the chimney for it!!)

This may have nothing to do with you so please disregard if needed.

• Administrators

Thank you Cyg/Dayz.

Why are you cooking a steak in the oven?

I BBQ 95% of our meats. I have no intentions of cooking a steak in an oven, but if one of these machines can *properly broil* a steak, it would tell me a lot about its useful temp. capabilities.

I find that cooking is plesure and should not be rushed if time is avalible.

I'm not talking about microwaving food. I'm talking about convection cooking in an oven that doubles as a microwave.

What I'm gathering is that this type of machine is intended to cook food quickly and then, by convection, brown it. If thats true, I have no use for it.

Ohh sorry. Convection oven are sooo great. I cooks more evenly. Helps eliminate the hot radiante heat form the element.

Hence, your cookies won't burn on the bottom as easily.

All ovens are acutually "convection", but the great ones have that fan in them to circulate the air better than just venting it. Save on power, and cooks more evenlly and quicker. I also like those ovens with that small cooker up top, for pizzas and cookies!

You want something waaaaayy cool for cooking check out induction cook tops.......ummmmm slobber...... wish I could afford one! Haveing great cooking tools make it more pleasurable when cooking. Kinda like haveing lifts and compressor when working on a car.

My microwave beef is more personal with me. My wife would warp speed dinner and all that tension, kids would be screeming she would be pi$$ed and the tension you could cut with a knife. Told her to slow down and enjoy the job. P.S. she is a stay at home mommy:) Thank God for her!

I've had a couple of the 110v microwave/convection ovens - a couple means that, at least the counter top models I've owned were delicate, both died within a year.

That said, they're not much for meats that need deep browning - it won't make a good "primary" oven. Broiling would be straight out, only 110v and, what, 15 amps available. However, as a secondary oven that can take up the lighter duties, they're great. Baking things such as biscuits or cakes, awesome, little side dishes (you know, green bean casserole, fritatas, that kind of thing). Really wonderful having a second oven when you're making a full-on dinner.

Plus they'll work like a proper nuke, warm up the tea water, reheat leftovers, dry off the cat, like that too.