HybridZ

Subaru WRX Sti R180

TABrinn

Hi John,

The betamotorsports site states its for the 25 spline later "K" R180s (while the STi "K" R180's are 27 spline)

Yeah I realized that as well. That's why I ended up going the route that I did. With the shorter Sti axles. Both differentials are "K" type cases, but the Sti's assembly is obviously different. If John.C could make the custom snap in 27 spline stubs, that would be a good solution aswell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I sent John Coffey an email the other day, to which he quickly replied, and I thank him for that. I explained to him that we have a WRX LSD (R180 clutch type) and we're thinking of modifying the stub-axle to fit the Subaru axle-shaft. I wanted to know what his thoughts, insights or experiences were here. Without wasting words, John said he thought that building a new output shaft to fit the stock Datsun axle-shaft would be a better approach.

DING DING DING

Now I'm not a machinist, but I do have access to a machine shop with a machine lathe and an end-mill. In my simplified yet overly complex mind, it seems pretty straight forward to get a Subaru axle and cut off the splined output shaft at the correct length, then weld a plate on the end. I don't have a TIG / MIG welder so I would have to send it out to be welded. Third step would be to chuck it up again and turn down the over-sized plate then used the end-mill to drill four holes in the new companion flange. Finally, send it out to be heat treated. Having the new output shaft balanced would probably be a good idea.

Now, if I have done all this correctly, and there aren't any other surprises, the Subaru Differential should simply bolt into our 1973 240z using the stock drive-shaft and stock axle-shafts. In theory. In my head it is easy and painless.

BTW... I'm making those side shafts. The drawings are done and I'm taking them to a machinist in a couple days. Then they go to the spline cutter, I weld the flange on the shaft, and then the whole thing gets heat treated.

Edited by johnc

So this will use stock U-jointed halfshafts then?

Yes, the first iteration. Later I should be able to offer different flange options for CVs.

I'm not going to post anymore in this thread. Look for a thread in the Vendor forum in the future.

Edited by johnc