HybridZ

Drift 280Z project

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the build, i have always wanted to see a s30 drift car

and if i ever come upon some real money im going to try to do a replica of that 280zx 2+2 drift car on youtube, other wise its sticking to DD duties

again good look i hope you the best

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I will be at the July 25th driftindy event at Indianapolis Speeddrome, wont be driving, my Z is in New Mexico. The reason why the Subaru deal works is, the steering arms are the same length, but they have a great ability to push out the tire. They are strait at center, and the used to be at a 30 degree or so angle. My brother has a Subaru impreza that is AWD and if I can talk him into letting me drive it, and get tires, I will register to drift. But that will most likely not happen. As for the trouble hanging the rear end on a Z compared to a 240sx, the wheelbase of a 240sx is 97.4 inches. The wheelbase on a datsun Z is 90.7 inches. I see it being easier to get it out and sideways, the Z is also lighter than a stock 240sx. They make similar power, KA24 to L28, Both cars can be sr20 swapped, the biggest problem will be the lock angle and suspension I believe, maybe running boost would help.

The reason why the Subaru deal works is, the steering arms are the same length, but they have a great ability to push out the tire. They are strait at center, and the used to be at a 30 degree or so angle.

Still trying to wrap my head around this steering mod... Do you use longer tie rods with this subaru steering knuckle? I still don't understand how you are changing the steering action at all using the same rack, without making the steering effort higher for either:

-each added degree total you can turn the wheel or;

-each incremental increase in steering quickness you achieve.

You need a different, preferably power steering rack, and it either needs to travel further and use stock steering knuckles on the hubs, or it needs to be oomphy enough to push shortened knuckles rather rapidly.

I dont know how to word it I guess, the tie rods are stock, but not at an angle anymore. I could be wrong, but the way I'm looking at it, when they have that angle in them it reduces the amount of steer you can get, but then when he puts them strait, you can steer more. Look at the 2 pics in this post, I may be wrong. Just my view on the whole deal.

• 1 month later...

first off, love your Z and your future build. Now my 2 cents on what you're about to do. If you say you have some experience in drifting, think again. S30's react like a MR car. I should know, I used to drift competitively using an AW11 with a 170 rwhp engine and major suspension mods and LSD. I learned how to properly initiate and hold a drift with much practice attending drift events (I started in 2003) and spent so much money on tires. Drifting a non-FR car is relatively difficult but very doable. What you need to learn is proper braking and lightning action steering since you have a non power steering car (and because your car is snap happy). Worry about making big HP and larger steering angles. It's good to learn in a car under stock form or close. Your learning curve will just be steeper when your car has so much mods. I am thinking of going back again especially since my good friend is already doing well and kept bugging me but I'm just too broke to compete as a privateer. Welding your diff is a good idea but only if the car is only tracked because driving in the streets will be just plain awful especially making U-turns. As far as suspension is concerned, you need to set up the suspension basically less functional (yes it's sounds stupid but true) in the rear because a less grabier (is that a word?) rear makes it easier to drift but moderate to control. Anyway, that is just my 2 cents. I got my flame suit on so go ahead! =).

• 2 years later...

I don't know how much drifting experience you have, but just as a heads up, it is going to be pretty different drifting this car, than say an S13.

Things like not having as much steering angle, and sitting way back in relation to the car could be an interesting transition. Should be awesome to watch this project though.

If you search the archives for Drift240z (i think is his name) he was trying to get pretty competitive with his Z, and there's some good technical info about solving some of the problems with drifting a Z.

are you planning on getting an LSD...?

Good luck!

i think you gentle were looking for me and my thread. yes i believe i might be one of the only people on earth attempting to drift a Z. the biggest issue as everyone has talked about is indeed the steering angle. Or the lack there of. The problem comes from the facts that the Tc rod comes into close proximity with the wheel and tire when at full lock.