HybridZ

Has anyone tried these cams?

Robert

Hi,

Im thinking of rebuilding my old L24E Skyline engine ( fuel injected 1987).

Now the L24E has somewhat more aggressive cams then the carb models, but I want more, so with some research Ive narrowed it down to two "webcams" camshafts.

Option A: The 94a grind: VALVE LIFT: 430/.430 Duration at .5: 230°/230° - Link: http://webcamshafts.com/pages/automobile/datsun/install_data/tc_1800_1085.html

Option B: Lift: the 91 grid: 450/.450 Dur at .5: 238°/238°

also, how much can the N42 heads be shaved?

L24E 2.5" exhaust, stock manifolds and efi, mild porting, shaved head

Depending on what you want, I'd almost go with a more aggressive cam. Based off my own experience with a wild Rebello cam (63D, basically the same as the 63DE they have listed on the site), it's perfectly streetable with a light weight car. The only problems I have with it are due to finicky carbs rather than the cam itself.

Depending on what you want, I'd almost go with a more aggressive cam. Based off my own experience with a wild Rebello cam (63D, basically the same as the 63DE they have listed on the site), it's perfectly streetable with a light weight car. The only problems I have with it are due to finicky carbs rather than the cam itself.

Ok, Sounds good.. I had a button on that one if someone could confirm street-friendlyness, so If noone else speeks up, I think Ill go for that one.. But Webcams dont have a e-mail adress? In 2009? Jeez.. I found a Schneider cam with ~same specs, just kmight go for it just for the e-mail... :icon45:

Webcams is off 3rd Street in Riverside. I pass them every night coming home from work when I'm in town...why on earth would I e-mail them something????

+1 951 369 5144 or FAX +1 951 369 7266

They prefer phone conversations to anything else. Face-to-Face is better. Take a holiday!

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Set up a Skype Account in the USA and your talking to them relatively clearly for less than a couple 'o pence a moment. Fax your enquiry and set up a time to call for clarifications and technical commentary.

I'd ditto above, that cam is nowhere near 'radical' for the street. It depends on engine size as well, what works for a 1600 is not nearly as sedate as a similar performing cam in a 2L retrofitted down in the displacmeent range.

Good Luck!

Webcams is off 3rd Street in Riverside. I pass them every night coming home from work when I'm in town...why on earth would I e-mail them something????

+1 951 369 5144 or FAX +1 951 369 7266

They prefer phone conversations to anything else. Face-to-Face is better. Take a holiday!

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Set up a Skype Account in the USA and your talking to them relatively clearly for less than a couple 'o pence a moment. Fax your enquiry and set up a time to call for clarifications and technical commentary.

I'd ditto above, that cam is nowhere near 'radical' for the street. It depends on engine size as well, what works for a 1600 is not nearly as sedate as a similar performing cam in a 2L retrofitted down in the displacmeent range.

Good Luck!

Just to comment the first, Im an international buyer ;) I guess setting up a skype account could work, but that would require a headset with mic, that I dont have.. Therefore, E-mail is easier for me, who`s not driving by them every morning ;)

Regarding the Cam above, Is say it depends on how the duration is measured, if its the gross duration, all doors are open, im more interested in the duration at .50... But if its 280280 at .50 Id agree its way to agressive for my street use with just a few track days on a 2.4L...

Z-ya: 2.4? 2.8? Is it 280 at .50?

Just to comment the first, Im an international buyer ;) I guess setting up a skype account could work, but that would require a headset with mic, that I dont have.. Therefore, E-mail is easier for me, who`s not driving by them every morning ;)

Regarding the Cam above, Is say it depends on how the duration is measured, if its the gross duration, all doors are open, im more interested in the duration at .50... But if its 280280 at .50 Id agree its way to agressive for my street use with just a few track days on a 2.4L...

Z-ya: 2.4? 2.8? Is it 280 at .50?

At .05" intake and exhaust duration is 236. Lobe separation angle is 110deg. It's a 2.8L.

At .05" intake and exhaust duration is 236. Lobe separation angle is 110deg. It's a 2.8L.

Great, that makes it just a little more agressive then my "option B"..

I found a Schneider Cam that I actually liked better though, it had .460 in lift, but 230 degree intake duration, and 240 degree exhoust.. This is great for my use, since Im using stock manifolds, and that extra duration can compensate a little on that.. Ive sent them an E-mail, hoping it will fit My N42 head..

Thanks for the inputs :-D

Great, that makes it just a little more agressive then my "option B"..

I found a Schneider Cam that I actually liked better though, it had .460 in lift, but 230 degree intake duration, and 240 degree exhoust.. This is great for my use, since Im using stock manifolds, and that extra duration can compensate a little on that.. Ive sent them an E-mail, hoping it will fit My N42 head..

Thanks for the inputs :-D

Get an internally oiled version for your N42 and you should be all set. Get the correct lash pads and new or re-ground rockers too.

Get an internally oiled version for your N42 and you should be all set. Get the correct lash pads and new or re-ground rockers too.

Anout them lash pads, whats their purpose, and why will they need replacement? Since the rocker arms can be adjusted, Im having problems thinking of why?

I know some say you should replace the rockers due to wear and so on, but Is that really necassry, or just a "be safe" myth? The way I see it, unless they are really bad, and messed up for some reason, they wont do any damage that mathers, unless you want 200k miles on the new cam?

When changing from a stock cam you need to adjust the wipe pattern by using the correct thickness lash pad. If the wipe pattern is way off, you will destroy your new cam. Search, there has been tons of discussion on this subject.

You can get the rockers reground, it is a lot cheaper than new ones.

When changing from a stock cam you need to adjust the wipe pattern by using the correct thickness lash pad. If the wipe pattern is way off, you will destroy your new cam. Search, there has been tons of discussion on this subject.

You can get the rockers reground, it is a lot cheaper than new ones.

Ill read around on them pads, but in case I wont find the answer, will this require measuring and then ordering, or will the cam manufacturer know the size?

About the rocker arms, will they really need any work, or is this just an urban myth stated from some poor fellow who had a oil pressure failure once, that caused wear on his rocker arms, and then destroyed his brand new camshafts hardened surface? (just my theory?)

You can try the stock lash pads, and if the wipe patter is good, your all set. It really depends on the cam you select. If you lash pads are in good shape (no grooves), then you can probably use them after a little clean up with some emery cloth. How long do you want the cam to last? :mrgreen: It won't last long with the wrong lash pads and badly worn rocker arms.

• 4 weeks later...