HybridZ

someone want to build an L28 head for me?

Iceman

I am pretty sure that building up a head is going to be beyond my skill level. I am wondering how much someone from here would charge for everything from building the head to installing it for me. It's not something that I would be doing soon as I need to save the money, but I would like to know what I should expect to save up for. I am looking for something aggressive but streetable, even if it is just barely. I dont mind running a high idle and having to rev it tight to get peak power. Also, how much power can I expect to gain (running with SUs and a header). I KNOW a V8 swap is far more bang for the buck, but I have decided not to go with a V8 swap because it is beyond my skill level and I am concerned with having that much power at my disposal. Although, I might consider a mild 327 swap if it would cost less for someone to do for me than a head buildup.

that would also depend how much power you want to have... I have heard with triple mikunis (I can't spell I know) that 300hp out of these motors is possible. Also the farther into the realm of power you go... the farther away from longevity you also go.

Now a p90 head with some porting polishing, and a mild cam. with the head milled and the valve springs to match.. parts are probably about 4-450, now the machining end would be upwards of over 500, easily. but you want to start throwing valves into it(close to 300) bronze guides are 100 or more then the price to put them in. coatings are a whole nother story, coatings alone could cost 100 for a good setup, then having the process done adds up too... also when you get more and more involved thingss like the porting and polishing take higher roles so you want expertise.. also things like polishing and deburring the combustion chamber(still a grumpy thing there I took my head with polished chambers to have it milled, they freaking sandblasted the chambers!!!!) and thats just the basics... you kinda gotta give a better description there...

but say you had a head, you want it cleaned up in the ports, the local shop around here quoted me 250... add a milling at 15 a cyl. you get 90. a valve jod on a disassembled head was only 50, add a cam (approx 200) and a set of valve springs 150 and the lash pads 70. doing threat yourself with 60$ for a felpro head gasket and intake/exhaust gasket you can do it yourself for a little under 900, but plan at 1000.. that would be all new parts, and a good platform....

so if someone has a good used head, they'll put on for 500... that has the said work done... that would be the way to go...

ok, I think I gave you enough to rattle your cage a bit....

Pettersen Motorworks is in Chico Calif. 530-895-3606 he is not that far from you. He builds 240Z for a living. He builds amazing L6 motors and is honest and fair. Heads are where HP is made and it can be expensive depending on what you want done. Give Steve an the freedom to work magic and you will receive amazing results.

• 3 weeks later...

Rebello, or BRAAP, hands down. BRAAP has some of the most competetive prices for work performed that I've seen. If you really need help taking the head off and putting it on I can coach you through it, I'm in Benicia and even looking at moving to Vacaville soon.

• Administrators

I am currently building one of my cores to sell, P79 casting, should be ready in the next couple weeks, (customer P79 to arrive in the next day or so is priority over this one). WOuld make for a very nice head for an L28, flat tops, moderate cam with carbs or aftermarket EFI.

Head was fully disassembled, oil galley plugs removed, entire head blasted and jet washed. Oil galleys have been tapped for NPT plugs and plugs installed.

Head will be assembled with valves, new stem seals, new aftermarket springs good to .490" lift, and cam towers, (spray bare style or non, buyer preference, sorry I do not have a spray bar to go with it).

Port work consists of valves fully unshrouded in the chambers, chambers CC'd to within 1/4 cc of each other, exhaust seats blended into the liners, intake ports port matched to FelPro intake gasket and intake seats blended into port walls, port floor radiused to seat. Intermediate region of the intake port left as cast.

Machine work consists of valve seats cut with 4 and 5 angles, intake and exhaust seat width of .060", seats concentric to within .0005" of the guide. Intake and exhaust valves have a 30 degree back cut, tips faced. Top and bottom of the head surfaced, fly cut.

Buyer to source, install, and set up his own cam, rockers and lash pads. Sorry I do not have any more rockers in my inventory.

For an additional fee, if buyer sends me his/her cam, rockers, I can set up the valve train, I will include appropriate lash pads.

Price for this head is not yet determined. Pics of work being performed will be posted when finished in the ad, unless it sells before the ad gets posted. :wink:

Couple shots of progress thus far;

Chamber roughed in;

RghChmbr.jpg

Valves;

Vlvs.jpg