HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

I apologize for the slow nature of this build. Its out of my control at the moment, as my car is still with the builder for the LT headers that we are doing a group buy on. I hope to have it back soon........ until then, I guess ill keep looking at the parts pile in my shop lol.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm sure many of you now know,

I HAVE MY CAR BACK!

I've started mocking up the rest of my exhaust system, which will include a true dual 2.5" out the back, with magnaflow bullet mufflers, and an H-pipe.

I began by building my mock up mufflers to the exact size of a real one, with some scrap around the shop.

Enjoy!

Maganaflol

IMG_20120122_201630.jpg

The rest of my TO DO list includes:

-Radiator and Fans

-Finish Engine Harness

-Install dash

-Driveshaft

-Rebuilt T56 (opened up my "pullout from running car" to find the 3/4 synchro hub in 3 pieces....... :angry: ) Sooooo i get to take a crash course on manual tranny rebuilds - pretty easy really, I've assisted with a couple, but this will be the REAL test

IMG_20120122_184258.jpg

-Brake system maintenance ( Flush, fresh pads/ shoes at a BARE minimum) ..... maybe reaction disk??

-Install transmission hydraulics

-Inspect and test fuel system (relays, pump, regulator, check for leaks)

-TIRES

So needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. However, I have a guy buying my camaro friday, so I should have a little extra money to help ease the pain. B)

Here you beggars go!

This shows where the #3 primary is quite close

SDC10020.jpg

How i have it rigged for first start (NOT PERMANANT)

SDC10024.jpg

Passengers side

SDC10022.jpg

Also had to do some clearance work on a bolt to get my drive belt to fit

after- before

SDC10026-1.jpg

SDC10028.jpg

SDC10029.jpg

I also took that stupid little in-between the bumper and car thing off today. Gonna make this all smooth and nice eventually

SDC10032.jpg

Got into this area so i can do the work on the fuel filler...

SDC10033-1.jpg

Mock up panel for relays for engine harness

SDC10034-1.jpg

and i was doing this all with the doors WIDE OPEN. It was a marvelous 68 Degrees here today!

SDC10035.jpg

Vague idea of ground clearance / collector location

IMG_20120122_201352.jpg

and some of my side projects :)

ls1 cam lamp

IMG_20120119_153348.jpg

ls1 (painted like lsx) Coffee table to be

IMG_20120124_223624.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

Keep them coming Josey! Like the zip tie plug wire fix, sweet. Where you ground down the bolt, I had Jimmy [Zkek cnc guy] bore the hole in the bracket a little deeper, shorten the bolt the same amount and machine a tad off the bolt head to provide sufficient clearance from the belt. Same end result...

Can't wait to see the duals all the way back. Side [each of fuel cell] or center exit? H or X pipe, resonators, mufflers, cutouts?

You thinking an angled plug wire or something different?

Keep them coming Josey! Like the zip tie plug wire fix, sweet. Where you ground down the bolt, I had Jimmy [Zkek cnc guy] bore the hole in the bracket a little deeper, shorten the bolt the same amount and machine a tad off the bolt head to provide sufficient clearance from the belt. Same end result...

Can't wait to see the duals all the way back. Side [each of fuel cell] or center exit? H or X pipe, resonators, mufflers, cutouts?

You thinking an angled plug wire or something different?

I'm thinking a 90* boot will probably remedy that, but it still might take some persuasion from... something idk what.

The duals should be relatively easy (more tunnel room than a 4th gen F-body) if you can believe that. It helps greatly that the driveshaft won't be moving down, as it does in a live axle car. Also, no god forsaken torque arm to deal with. The mufflers are going to be 3" magnaflow bullets, with the rear of the mufflers being just in front of the diff crossmember. I'll need to take that x-member out and clearance it. Wouldn't be any big thang if I had my dad's plasma cutter! ... I'll figure it out though.

As for the crossover, I had originally planned on doing an H pipe, but I might go nuts and build an X. (Again, would be nice if I had my buddy's band saw to cut them with) And again, I'm sure I will make it work. I was planning on doing duals, with one exit on each side. However, I have been toying with the thought of Center Mount Exhaust (CME from here on out). I also thought about doing a no-tips dump close to the rear. Still up in the air. More pressing matters at the moment.... I need to learn how to rebuild a T56 :lol: ... But seriously.

MSD makes some LS plug wires that hold a shape after you bend them (kind of like Gumby). I think that would solve your problem with header/wire contact.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm hoping to run some electric ovalized exhaust cutouts inside the front fenders to allow for side exit/dump tubes. It is going to be more tricky with these headers, but still do-able. I'm really impressed at how tight they are to the bottom of the car. I'm trying to rest at night this week and go 24-48 hours straight this weekend in order to try and crank my car this Sunday. Worst case would be the following week.

I love your furniture plans-the joys of life before marraige!

Edited by RebekahsZ

Well I have ordered my mandrel bends, mufflers, flanges, more battery cable, relays, wiring, and connectors. Everything should be here by the end of the week. Some very minute wiring to finish, and then i need to get the fuel filler figured out, and we should be cranking! :blink:

Hard to believe, but its coming soon!

Did you have to remove the steering shaft to install these headers?

I didn't actually install them. As per blake's instructions though, you just remove the drivers side engine mount bolt, and jack up the engine, and then slide it in.

Hahaha i saw a photo of an engine as a coffee table with a glass top on it, it was pretty rad. This is the first time ive seen your build and it looks really fantastic! I wish i had as much know how as you do, unfortunately i am a total noob and rely on my mechanic friend to help me anytime something goes wrong with my car hahaha. Anyways, great job, keep it up!

Oh snap! I have poly motor mounts and that bolt is a total PITA to remove. The oil pressure sender is really close, so it is tough to get a sledge hammer in there to pound the bolt in...for some reason the passenger side is easy-it is the driver side that is so tough.

Hahaha i saw a photo of an engine as a coffee table with a glass top on it, it was pretty rad. This is the first time ive seen your build and it looks really fantastic! I wish i had as much know how as you do, unfortunately i am a total noob and rely on my mechanic friend to help me anytime something goes wrong with my car hahaha. Anyways, great job, keep it up!

Thanks man, and I'll be sure to post a pic when the table is finished. Sometimes you just have to get your hands dirty and make mistakes to learn! I never had anyone help me, just the forums and the net, and turning wrenches. The only thing to it is to do it!

Oh snap! I have poly motor mounts and that bolt is a total PITA to remove. The oil pressure sender is really close, so it is tough to get a sledge hammer in there to pound the bolt in...for some reason the passenger side is easy-it is the driver side that is so tough.

I would suggest relocating your oil pressure sender to behind the intake where the factory oil pressure sender is. Its to the drivers side of the MAF sensor. The only thing the factory sender does is run a gauge. I'm using the factory sender for my autometer gauge. My sanderson headers necessitated the moving of it in the first place. so glad i did.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Well the mufflers and 3 bolt flanges showed up yesterday, and the mandrel bend builder kit should be here monday. I also ordered the remainder of the wiring, which should be here either tomorrow or monday. I also ordered a full poly bushing kit ($$$), which will be in around wednesday. In the meantime, I'm going to pay a good friend of mine a visit this weekend to tear down the the t56 and learn to rebuild them myself. I also completed the above mentioned relay panel in aluminum, which i'll post pics of later. Thas all for today!

Can you shoot me a photo of the fittings you used for the oil pressure sender? I considered this what you are suggesting, but I couldn't figure out how to de-conflict the vacuum line and the factory gauge sender (so big). It seemed like a lot of off-set fittings would be required. Send me a pic of how you did it.