HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunny Z,

I agree with the others - AWESOME work!

Don't be too discourage about the hole as I'm sure the fab shop will fix it. One would have thought they would either pressure test or place the tank in solvent to search for pinholes. With that much welding a small hole had to exist somewhere on the tank.

I almost forgot. I like where your speakers are :P

Danno74Z

Edited by Danno74Z

That looks great. Your finishing on the camber plates is amazing. Don't get discouraged. You are doing great!

Thanks. I've always enjoyed metal work, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy as well.

Great progress Josey!

Thanks Dave

Sunny Z,

I agree with the others - AWESOME work!

Don't be too discourage about the hole as I'm sure the fab shop will fix it. One would have thought they would either pressure test or place the tank in solvent to search for pinholes. With that much welding a small hole had to exist somewhere on the tank.

I almost forgot. I like where your speakers are :P

Danno74Z

The hole isn't really that discouraging to me, its just one more thing that I shouldn't have to deal with. It will literally take one touch of a TIG torch to fix, but in the meantime I had to drop the tank (which was covered in gas) so naturally so was I, and then drain said gas, and now I have to wash the tank out and have it re-welded. Hopefully the shop will do some kind of monetary refund for my added effort.....

And yes, the speakers are one of the previous owner's "clean installs" :rolleyes: I'm more worried about getting it on the street than the stereo, but that will get addressed eventually.

On another note, I got the rear flare "nutserts" installed, more painting here and there, installed the passenger's side interior, started cutting welting for the flares, and most importantly CLEANED MY SHOP. I can now walk front to back without bobbing and weaving.

I must have syphoned my tank 5 times so far - and I never could get the little syphon kits to work - the only way I could get the syphon working was by swallowing a good bit of fuel. Good thing I don't smoke! Treated myself to some Summitt brand AN wrenches for cleaning my filter - well worth the money.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Thanks. I've always enjoyed metal work, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I was happy as well.

Thanks Dave

The hole isn't really that discouraging to me, its just one more thing that I shouldn't have to deal with. It will literally take one touch of a TIG torch to fix, but in the meantime I had to drop the tank (which was covered in gas) so naturally so was I, and then drain said gas, and now I have to wash the tank out and have it re-welded. Hopefully the shop will do some kind of monetary refund for my added effort.....

And yes, the speakers are one of the previous owner's "clean installs" :rolleyes: I'm more worried about getting it on the street than the stereo, but that will get addressed eventually.

On another note, I got the rear flare "nutserts" installed, more painting here and there, installed the passenger's side interior, started cutting welting for the flares, and most importantly CLEANED MY SHOP. I can now walk front to back without bobbing and weaving.

I apologize for the issues you had with the tank. I feel partly responsible since I recomended the guy. He is one of the best fab shops in town. He is good but not very fast. Where is it leaking from? I need to double check mine to make sure I don't run into the same issue.

It was leaking on the rearmost tack weld that holds in the baffle. He's making good on it though. I'm having it fixed locally, and he said to send him the bill - the right thing to do. No real complaints other than that.

I took the steering wheel off, and all the plastics surrounding. Its still a squeeze to get it out without beating it up though. Basically just the wheel, and all the supports and the defrost panel are all that's needed. If you have a haynes / chiltons manual its in there.

Worked on the car a bit yesterday. Got some fluid to the brakes (gravity bleed - still waiting on an assistant to bleed them).

Installed my Wilwood Proportioning Valve

IMG_20120418_221436.jpg

Got the fuel tank back from being fixed, hooked it up, put gas in it, tried to fire the motor.

It chugged for a few seconds - did this about 2-3 times. I suspected one bank was dead - I was right.

I traced the wire for the passenger's coil / injectors and found that it was broken about 18" from the coil pack connector.... just another s h i t t y solder job from whoever did the harness before I got a hold of it. Sucks too because i checked continuity on EVERY wire before i wrapped it. <_<

Fired it again, but to no avail.

I've been talking with my buddy who does a lot of swaps to try and get this thing going today.

Well it RUNS! ... Kinda. I had to bottle feed it for a while, thought i just had air in the line. Still wasn't getting enough fuel, so I borrowed a gauge. 5 PSI.... :blink:

Obviously that wouldn't cut it. SO i proceeded to cover myself in gasoline taking off the pump and filter, only to diagnose and find that the regulator was the problem all along. Plumbed it straight, 80+ PSI. So I'll be looking for another corvette fuel pressure regulator tomorrow, and hopefully be on the street!

Das it.

Last time I ordered a FPR, I went ahead and ordered 2, expecting to dirty a few on the way to reliability. I've got to clean my pre-screen filter again this weekend to MAINTAIN reliability. I still got a little sand out of it last time.

Your car looks great - I can't believe how fast you've done it. The color is great, and I'm even becoming a flared fender fan. Looking forward to your start-up video.

Well it started and ran for about 20 minutes today, went to eat, and it won't start now. :blink:

But its mechanically complete, so I put it on the ground.

And this happened.

IMG_20120421_231855.jpg

This is as low as she goes. It trapped my 3.5" floor jack under the frame rail. :lol:

Edited by SUNNY Z

Harbor freight has cheap low profile aluminum jacks for $59 with coupon out of any car mag. You will still have trouble finding places to get it under. How much clearance under the frame rocker panels? My oil pan is about an inch below my crossmember so I plan to spot weld a rock catcher onto my crossmember. I am also going to weld a plate on my seatbelt recesses so I can jack from them-they ought to be plenty strong. It is the front that is tough due to air dam. Looks awesome! Big fan. Livin like a rock star! Freakin stealth fighter.

So, as I assumed I would have to, I raised it up about 1.5". Its low, but quite drive-able.

I took it to my good friend, and lsx swap king aknovaman. He had a tune flashed to it, and we were on the road in less than a couple hours. I can't thank him enough!

This means that I'll make our annual cruise next weekend!!

I've put about 30 miles on it so far, and gave it its first bath in nearly two years.

Here are a couple pics I snapped before putting it to bed.

IMG_20120422_221907.jpg

IMG_20120422_221742.jpg

IMG_20120422_221022.jpg

IMG_20120421_203315.jpg.

It still needs some small things, but the major stuff is taken care of!

Here's a quick vid of it running that aknovaman took

th_78280ZLS1M6.jpg

Edited by SUNNY Z

Dude, you did such a great job. I am impressed by how quiet it it too - I didn't expect that from those mufflers. Nice, classy, tight, no bs job. The ride height and flares are perfect. Well done. Where in Kansas are you? I'd like to try meet up somewhere in the middle before you move west. You set the bar way up there.