HybridZ

78 Datsun 280z ------> 5.3 build

Dude, you did such a great job. I am impressed by how quiet it it too - I didn't expect that from those mufflers. Nice, classy, tight, no bs job. The ride height and flares are perfect. Well done. Where in Kansas are you? I'd like to try meet up somewhere in the middle before you move west. You set the bar way up there.

Thanks! I do my best!

I live in Manhattan. So, northeast KS. Two hours west of KC. And I'll actually be headed your way! I'm moving east.

The car is very docile at idle, but is pretty throaty when you're gettin it. I'll try to get some videos made either this week or this weekend, depending on what my schedule does.

Edited by SUNNY Z

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Sunny Z! She looks great. If you take a trip to Topeka hit me up. I'd like to see your Z in person.

For sure. There's talk of going up to the test and tune on friday. I'd just be there for spectation though, not gonna leave an axle shaft on the track the day before our big cruise lol. I'll let you know.

Build looks great man! If your car is anything like mine, you would leave an axle on the track for sure! Those 275/40s don't mess around(Ask me how I know lol). Definitely sitting pretty low, but it looks good. Don't know when you plan on moving, but you should try to make it out to Z Fest in Branson this summer if your still going to be in Kansas. Where abouts are you moving to?

-Will

Build looks great man! If your car is anything like mine, you would leave an axle on the track for sure! Those 275/40s don't mess around(Ask me how I know lol). Definitely sitting pretty low, but it looks good. Don't know when you plan on moving, but you should try to make it out to Z Fest in Branson this summer if your still going to be in Kansas. Where abouts are you moving to?

-Will

I'm moving to Des Moines, Iowa in July or August. When is Z fest?

I see you have a monster in your car. Best clutch for the money IMO.

Well the Z left me stranded yesterday. As it turns out, 200* coolant WILL distort schedule 40 PVC. I had a small piece in a hose so i could clamp a larger hose over it. It distorted on a 2nd gear pull, and let loose, spewing coolant everywhere. I was able to put a piece of steel pipe in it, and clamp it enough to get to a gas station. There I met a really cool older guy who gave me a ride to a Tractor Supply store for some more clamps. Turns out he was a hot rodder himself! He had a 71 el camino, but loved my car none the less. Of course i had to take him for a rip after he helped me out!

Prior to the stranding, I weighed the car. It had about a half tank of gas, but tipped the scales at 2750# :blink: . And it feels like it! Holy cow these light cars can get with it. I had to re-wire my electric fan because it kept popping fuses (taurus fans draw massive current). Other than that, I've just been driving the hell out of it! LOVE IT. I have put about 50 miles on it since the speedo was calibrated, probably about 100 overall. Such a gas to drive.

Speaking of gas, apparently I cross-threaded my vent tube hose, and boogered my aluminum AN fitting - :( Because it leaks when the tank is full and the car is to that side. I'll probably try to find a die to chase it with, or just put a piece of rubber hose there instead.

Looks great. Good to hear your rev limiter works.

Since you have been into your T56, is it possible, or is there a service that can manipulate gear ratios on a T56? I'd like to make my car more like a close-ratio from 1-6 instead of really close up to 5, then a big jump to 6. I'd like to start with a much taller 1st gear. Whatcha think? Tell us more of your driving impressions. I may try to make that Z Fest, too.

Looks great. Good to hear your rev limiter works.

Since you have been into your T56, is it possible, or is there a service that can manipulate gear ratios on a T56? I'd like to make my car more like a close-ratio from 1-6 instead of really close up to 5, then a big jump to 6. I'd like to start with a much taller 1st gear. Whatcha think? Tell us more of your driving impressions. I may try to make that Z Fest, too.

LOL yeah well The speed limit is only 50 on that road.

And there are different gear sets available, but the 5/6 is the same (until you get to the new 'vette TR6060) i believe.

The MN6 T56 from the gto has a numerically higher 1-4 gears.

Here ya go

http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1361842-gear-ratios-tr6060-vs-t-56-a.html

and

http://www.tremec.com/performance/t56.html

Z Fest is May 30th-June 2nd. http://www.bransonzfest.com/ . You should definitely try to make it out with the car, would be nice to have a couple LSx Z's in one place. Oreillys(sp?) sells radiator hose couplers if you decide to change from the pipe.

-Will

Hmmmmm Ok. I'll JUST be getting back from Europe (taking a little vacay after school is over). Maybe the 1st I could make it.

Well its time to start shopping for rear ends! :angry:

I took a buddy for a ride tonight, and the rear started making some noise. Checked it, the PS outer u joint has some slap, and with the driver's wheel in the air, there is an equal amount of slap in the carrier :lol: . Oh well, I knew it would happen eventually.

When you put your new rear end in, please disassemble the diff and find out where it was coming apart. Open R200? What ratio? I can't believe it broke so quickly, so far so good here with an R180 CLSD and Wolf Creeks. But only (3) 1/8 mile runs with moderate burnouts, 3 or 4 dry burnouts on the street and 4 or 5 hours of driving around with power application limited by sound. Hoping to rebuild a 3.90 R200 CLSD and Z31 shortened CV axles this weekend, then put it all together next weekend. Have warned family that I won't be sleeping much for a few days.

I have about a G in mine...but I custom mounted the diff, drilled my 280Z mustache bar and bought the diff and axle flanges at the junkyard on half off days. Its the axles and adapters that hit the wallet hard.

OK.

I'm finding the pumpkin for about 100-150, and the axles at about 50 bones each. So say 350 for two pairs of axles, and the diff. Its so hard to find anything here in KS!!!! The closest one is 2 hours away. Either the yards here are crushing anything over 10 years old because scrap is high, or they don't have imports. GRRR.

Whats the best place to get the adapters? And I need just two pairs of axles, or one side specific? Need to search that i guess.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_53&products_id=65

those with the $400 ($850 + shipping)axle option is what I bought...I have heard things about Ross (owner) being quite lazy in getting things out in the recent past(you might want to research HBZ). I got mine relatively quickly but that was prolly around 3 years ago so I dunno now. Yes you need two pairs of axles...actually just the axle ends (4) but theres only 2 per q45. They are normally bolted only to the diff but this swap will put them at the diff and the inner stub axle flange(the $450 piece from MMS).

Located a rear end and axles a couple hours away. Gonna put a new u-joint in the PS axle to limp it to the salvage yard to buy parts lol. Trying to save some money on gas.

Other than some gut-wrenching sounds from the rear, the car did phenomenal yesterday on the cruise. I drove it 75 miles, and even got a few good races in. Raced a stock ls1 fbody, put about 4 cars on him from a 30-130 roll. Raced a heads/cam Trans am, he put about 2 cars on me from the same roll. Also raced a 600+ WHP c5 z06. He put about 3 cars on me. It definitely surprised some people, and put a lot of smiles on.