HybridZ

Which Intake Manifold Should I Use?

Mayolives

I've searched and found conflicting info about using an earlier intake manifold vs a turbo manifold for my turbo engine build. I have an F54 block, P90 head and will use forged pistons, hybrid turbo, wastegate, boost controller, new engine mgmt system, etc., with target specs of 300 RWHP. The earlier intake manifolds had a lot less junk on them and will be easier to clean up. Which is best for my application? Thanks for your input..mayolives

Personally I would (and did) use the N42 intake off the 75 (and possibly 76) 280z. The runner size is no different between these non-EGR manifolds and the turbo manifold. There is also a lot less clutter on those intakes to worry about.

As far as my experience goes there is no advantage to using the turbo intake other than the fact it has a provision for a POV if you wanted to use such a thing. :roll:

Intake%20Comparison.jpg

yo drax great job on that intake! looks awesome.... i did mine the same way. i havent got around to get mine coated yet... when u had it coated did they spray the texture on or was there another process before the coating?

what fuel rail is that?

I used a P82 manifold (like the one in the photo for the 79ZX) except without the EGR. There are a lot of P82's out there sans EGR and they clean up nicely, though the plenum volume is smaller than the early N42.

But with all that increased area that an Intercooler and piping adds, maybe the slightly smaller volume helps on-boost response. At least that's what I'm hoping. If I ever get these processor resets licked....

I had a setup like Speeder's on my old Mikuini Blow-Through setup...