HybridZ

rear suspension to chassis mounts.......

Howdy all,

I have finally been putting my Z back together after a couple of years of playing around with old Bmw's and audi's. The suspension part of this build has been a bit long and draged out but the front is now in and I now have all the rear apart for new bushs and repainting. I hadnt really looked at the rear untill now but I have got to say that I really dont like the way the factoty did it. The rear of the diff is mounted via the mo. Bar which seems to be made out of spring steel and looks as though the diff can move around a bit. The rear mounts for the control arms is also flimsy as hell and looks like movement here will give toe in and out with movement.

I had a bit of a search and only found one set up where someone had altered the mounts with some diaganals to the mo. bar mounts. Has any one else adressed these issuies? Ideally I would like to see some lateral and fore or aft location of the rear mounts. I would also consider welding the mo bar to the mounts but I suspect this would add a lot of harshness to the drive train. What about making the mo. bar straonger with some gussets to prevent for and aft movement. This could be as easy a welding a strip at the top that joins the circular mounts together. Add another one to the bottom and it shouldnt move around much at all.

Look forward to your ideas!

Cheers,

Douglas

Lateral loads are your main concerns. A brace from the transverse link brace going to the mustache bar mounts is pretty effective. As for the diff, the mustache bar is designed to handle torque and the front diff mount is designed to handle the fore/aft locating. The RT front diff mounts and urethane or solid mustache bar mounts are all you'll probably need.

What "issues" are there to address? Do you have any empirical evidence that the factory design is flawed for your intended purpose?

Racers have cracked the uprights in back. That's empirical enough for me.

I like the diag braces, but I'm not sure I like them going to the mustache bar, since there is a poly bushing there. I'd shoot for a brace to a frame rail instead.

Racers have cracked the uprights in back. That's empirical enough for me.

I like the diag braces, but I'm not sure I like them going to the mustache bar, since there is a poly bushing there. I'd shoot for a brace to a frame rail instead.

Yeah, me too...for a race car. He didn't state his purpose for the car. I haven't heard of people cracking uprights on street cars.

The braces I built (build) go to the subframe with a cup and then the mustache bar bushings and bar stack in the cup. And yes, there's definitely a need for this brace if you're pulling over 1G lateral or launching hard on slicks.

Ross,

The car has a full cage and will be used for hill climbs and targa type events. John c. do you have a photo? I didnt quite follow the discription. Do people weld up the upright part to the suspension mount part? That might help with lateral movement as well.

Douglas

Hang on ....read it again....makes sence now.. The mount goes between the mo. bar and chassis. The car has poly mounts all around so I should be good to go.

Edited by ZROSSA

I can't find an photos. From the chassis of the car at the mustche bar mounting point:

1. Cup with an ID greater the the mustache bar bushings.

2. Mustache bar bushing.

3. Mustache bar.

4. Mustache bar bushings.

5. Big washer.

6. Locknut.

A round tube is welded from the side of the cup to a plate that bolts to the junction of the transverse link and the transverse link braces.

Cheers John!

Its raining today so I might be able to sneak out of the winery and get this fabed up sooner then I thought. Welded up the rear coilovers yesterday....progress in baby steps!

Douglas