HybridZ

Data Logging with Triples

Innovate sells the following package. Racer Kit - This kit features a DL-32, LC-1, Speed sensor, and pressure sensor. Log 6 channels, including MAP, acceleration & sideforce, air/fuel ratio, and more... Expandable to 32 channels. It's $699. We have the bits and pieces of this kit and will be running it at the track with the triples this weekend. After a week of tuning and experimentation it seems we've dialed in the fuel map rather well. After my experience with the DCOE's, I understand why someone would go to ITBs, EFI, and an EMS like MegaSquirt. Better mileage, easier to tune, and likely more HP (due to better tuning).

I wondered if anyone else is doing data logging at track events and what SW / HW set-ups they're using. Anyone else using this 'Racer Kit'? I'll information after this weekend about my experience with the set-up we're using.

If you don't (like John C mentions) put the engine on a dedicated engine dyno, you have no other choice but to datalog and tune based on what you see.

I mean all that is nice to have on one page if they provide software to do it...

If they don't and you're stuck with a CSV download to put into EXCEL to manipulate...

Keep in mind Megasquirt has a datalogging software package. For the cost of an MS-1 box+ and LC1 you have Throttle Position, MAP, AF Ratio, RPM, Engine Coolant Temp, Inlet Air Temp... I mean there is 6 logged functions for under $600 using standard GM sensors (which the box will have you mount anyway)...I mean, just because you aren't firing the fuel injectors doesn't mean you can't use the MS as a standalone datalogger. A netbook with solid state hard drive gives a lot of storage space! And it's a given to me that I will have to use a laptop to download or record the datalogs at the track anyway so that cost is not included in either setup.

We used an Innovate and got RPM, AFM, and MAP. We're going to tune the DCOE's with Jeff Winters and his dyno perhaps next week depending on our schedules. I figured 2 hours with Jeff would be like 2 weeks of me tinkering. He gave us some pointers at the track. Overall the car performed well. John Coffee's LSD mod for the R180 STi LSD worked very well. Everything on the car was well sorted. The biggest short coming on the car is really the nut behind the wheel. I'm a little bit concerned with brake fade but it wasn't that bad. We were running in both Notice and Intermediate class so we only had a 20 minute down time between laps ... which wasn't ideal. The car needs more camber or else my tires will be bald on the outside edges after two more track days.