HybridZ

L series only 6cyl rockers

rayaapp2

S12, S-36, S82, S89R, and S49X.

I find myself digging through wrecking yards for good rockers. I never find complete sets in good shape. So I take whats good and leave the rest. So now I have several sets worth of rockers, but no matches. Ive listed the casting codes from the ones I have. Why did Nissan make so many different ones. Im guessing that for the most part these codes are for weighting and pad height. I see a few where the rocker is actually a few mm longer like the valves or pivot point were moved in the head.

Anyone have any better ideas of what these casting codes were for? Hopefully that will lead me on the hunt for the an optimal set or at least figuring out which ones to use where.

Thanks

Same here really

I have not been able to find rhyme or reason behind the alpha numeric codes and have noticed significant differences not just at the main bearer pad but on the under side webbing (to the point of fouling on the spring retainer in the worse cases) and the offset at the lash pad end skewing the wipe pattern (on the cam lobe not the rocker pad) left or right by up to several mm. I have matched up a number of "codes" but they still seem to have these differences therefore the codes must mean someting else (batch, date, time ??)

Alan (T) if your around, or any one else do you have any insight as to this coding, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by SKiddell

I've got two full sets getting refaced at Delta. Another 11 are in the garage and a 'new' complete set on the way to the house. There is a slew of different markings. When I've got them all together I'll try to determine if there is any rhyme or reason. I suspect that several OEM suppliers were producing these rockers which would account for the random markings. Several people have mentioned the various offsets on this and other forums. It could be nothing more than poor molds. It may also have been done for specific engine (auto/industrial) that required the offset due to valvetrain design. With a wide cam lobe and pad the offset may not have been considered a critcal issue for Z production runs. That said, it seems reasonable to assume 0 offset would eliminate side loads reducing friction and wear in a performance oriented engine build if you've got enough rockers to build a matched set.

Serious racers have known of these variances for decades. "Production Tolerance" is what it's called. Casting numbers identify assembly components as a last resort in field failure investigations.

Before anybody mixes and matches rockers...MEASURE EVERYTHING.

Do this, and you will find some very interesting variances which can affect the performance of the engine cylinder-to-cylinder.

There is a reason some people degree each cam/rocker/valve assembly one time before going on to the next stage of assembly.

Agreed Tony however like a lot of things there is little (useful) written about it so one has to discover it all over again.

Before anybody mixes and matches rockers...MEASURE EVERYTHING.

Do this' date=' and you will find some very interesting variances which can affect the performance of the engine cylinder-to-cylinder.

There is a reason some people degree each cam/rocker/valve assembly one time before going on to the next stage of assembly.

[/quote']

As an engneer its normal practice for me to work in "blue print" mode (much to the annoyance of others) and as such the variances are quantified however I can see your point, there will always be those that open the lid and throw it all in hoping for the best.

My particular interest was in the rocker casting numbers

Datsun79, some additional contact info for Brian would be much appreciated! I ran across his stuff the other day by accident, and it seems he is a source for custom lash pads as well. Can't for the life of me remember where I found him! Details, handle, something! please!