HybridZ

What to spend my money on

Well, heres the deal. My 280z Turbo is having some problems... There is a ticking that has progressively gotten worse. I did a valve adjustment but its still there. Its really loud when there's a load on the engine. There's gas in the oil and its only got 160k. So should i just tear it apart and to a full rebuild? It gets around 8-10 mpg, no green light on ecu but brand new O2(is the ecu in closed loop)? Im going crazy its my dd and gas is killing me... Tempted to just throw megasquirt on it but the motor was some problems.... Any Suggestions?

Pull the spark plugs one at a time to see which ones are sooty from a rich fuel mixture. Check the regulated fuel pressure on the fuel rail to the injectors if most of the spark plugs are sooty. Pull and inspect the fuel injectors on the cylinders that show sooty spark plugs. Likely if the fuel pressure at the rail is OK, some or most of the injectors may be faulty. Check the TPS, MAP, Coolant Temp, MAF etc sensors for proper output to the ECU.

Add a can of Seafoam to the gas tank at fill up to help clean the fuel injection system.

No green light, sensor failure. Get the FSM and sort it out it's a free download.

You should easily get 2X that mileage even with spirited driving.

A "Rebuild" won't do sh*t for you. This is electrical.

hey over the weekend i changed the intake/exhaust gasket and checked the injectors. They all sprayed fine didnt seem to stick. All of my spark plugs have equal soot on them so its gotta be a mutual failure. Ill try to check the fuel pressure later. I also replaced the CHTS awhile back.

Yep, grasping at straws and easy suspects is the way to go about it.

That FSM, just a waste of time, forget I mentioned the free download! I think you're making much better progress shotgunning and guessing!

:huh:

You may also want to run a compression check on the engine since you're going through all the trouble. The "ticking" sounds like it's valve train related, since you set all the rockers to spec it shouldn't be ticking. Trouble shoot through the FSM, you should be good. If I were to "guess" at an issue I'd suspect cam, rocker arm, timing chain.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!!

i think i was jumping to an explanation with the ticking i think its an injector, the #3 one it really loud. i recheck the valves after 100miles of driving and the lobes seemed fine. I dont know how to check the springs or rocker arms...

a little ticking noise is normal on these engines. you can check the springs with a visual inspection, the rockers checked visually and adjusted warm with a feeler gauge. I doubt it's those. If it's not a injector sticking then next I would certainly suspect the Thermotime. If not that I would suspect the AFM. the flapper in that often gets gummed up after sitting around not moving enough thus causing a rich running state. As Tony-D said, get the FSM and run through the troubleshooting. There's not that much that can make it run that rich, just gotta eliminate them.

I mean, since we're on the "let's pull a guess out of my arse" game...

"Its really loud when there's a load on the engine."

Exhaust Manifold Leak. Mechanically, electrically everything is perfect. This is (outside of a rod knock) which gets louder when there is a load on the engine. Both go away when you pull a plug and the offending cylinder is disabled.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so finally got a chance to look at the electrical. I did the 81 FSM troubleshooting for the afm and tps. The AFM failed the first test, 33-26 resistance was 203 when suppose to be 280-400, and 33-31 was 153 when it should've been 0or infinite. but passed second test. then failed the third(or from the shitty harbor freight tester: never moved. I checked the flap and it moves fine. I DO HAVE THE AFM UPSIDE DOWN, thought it doesnt make a difference. The tps passed fine, might be a lil out of adjustment though. Also checked the CHTS at ecu and didnt get anything but infinity when i checked the pin... Its a new sensor. So, Anybody have any ideas on any sensors?

why do you have the AFM upsidedown? I think there's some stuff you're not telling us about. I would start by returning it to the stock position and installed direction. Then do the resistance checks again. it's good the flapper moves well. You might be able to find another AFM and test it with that. Is there a yard around there, or do you have a buddy who's got a car you can borrow one from?

Well there isnt much room for the turbo afm to fit in normal. So, from a post Tony D said it didn't matter so i flipped it. Yeah i got a buddy whos swapping a turbo in a zx ill see if i can borrow it. Could the gravity of it being up side down open the flapper enough to give bad ohms readings? But i will retest it...