HybridZ

LS1 Heater Outlet/Inlet Ports - Loop or Blockoff

I've been researching this issue over at LS1tech.com for a few hours and there is no definitive consensus. One group says go ahead and block them off while the other state that you should loop them. To confuse matters, some folks state that as long as your t-stat has holes around the perimeter you can block the ports off, otherwise loop them.

Looping them is the easy, quick, and "correct" solution, however, it is not aesthetically pleasing. I was going to tap the two ports (1/2 npt and 3/8 npt) and use flush plugs.

What has everyone here done? Experience?

Not sure how all heaters are set up but the ones I have personal experience with do not circulate the radiator coolant unless heat is called for. That, to me, is the same as having the ports plugged.

Also, if the heater ports are looped then part of the water pump output is just looping back without doing any cooling. Don't see how that can be beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

Some heaters have a heater control valve, which is closed (blocking the flow) if the temperature is not set to heat. Other cars will have coolant circulating through the heater core at all times. And just use the blend doors inside the climate box when the temperature is set to heat.

If you're worried about it, loop it and kink the line. And when you verify for yourself that its not blocking the flow to the radiator, then pull the loop off and plug 'em!

Edited by ColtGT4g63

• 2 weeks later...

RebekahsZ, thank you for the tip. I picked up my part from NAPA (part #10777). Gates makes all of NAPA's belts (per the guys at NAPA) and the Gates part number is 18777.

The Autozone part number is Kelly-Springfield 4354; Dorman is #02253 and Dayco is B87629.