HybridZ

Front Big Brake Kit (Stage 4)from Silver Mine Motors

Hey, I agree with the idea that one driver can be nice to his equipment and go just as fast as the next guy running the same car but is abusive to his equipment. I've seen that first hand when running historic Trans-Am cars at the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca, Wine Country Classic at Sears Point, etc.

The bottom line is if you can get brake rotors and pads that will offer better performance and last 2-3 times longer for nearly the same price as non-treated stuff, it's a win-win deal. For those who don't run track days and push their car 100%, then it may not be a big deal. For those who do race or run their cars hard and you can cut your brake budget in half (along with time or labor, if you do it yourself or pay someone else), there are plenty who would be up for that. Maybe it's just a daily driver/autocross/HPDE car that you'd like to get 100k miles on the brakes....I don't know. I am known for being a late braker, so anything to give me an edge and save money is OK by me.

I expect it to be more appealing for guys who spend $2k for pads & rotors, but maybe not so much for guys with Miatas & such with relatively cheap parts. Still, I'd pay a little more just to not have to do a brake job for that much longer.

Once we have a few other cars done and more results recorded, we will be supplying treated rotors for just about any application and treated pads for just a little more than what you pay for them at the parts store. So, like everything else, it's an option. I thought I'd offer to do this for free for the Z guys for a limited time.

Stay tuned for more details from the track and we will be doing tests on a brake dyno with a major racing brake company as well, so we will have real world and controlled test results. Drive hard & have fun!

Edited by Savage42

FYI... I'm a huge fan of cryo treating rotors. I've seen at least double the life of the solid front S30 rotors when used on the track and that was with some pretty nasty pads.

Standard cryo does have benefits, but not nearly as dramatic as Thermal Cycling, which is a very advanced with over a decade of research & testing and takes up to 30 hours to treat a part. They are close to stating that you will see 3 times the life (in writing & is conservative), as we have seen upwards of 5-6 times the life of rotors/drums (2-3 times of pads/shoes) on every vehicle running Thermal Cycled parts over the last several years.

With new facilities opening in several states here in the USA, one in Canada and now also in Poland, Germany, UK and Australia, it'll become better known in the coming years. Stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks. Like the saying goes......"Accelerate until you see God, then BRAKE!" Now you will be able to brake just a little harder and longer. :-D

Mike,

I have a few friends that run the HPDE days here at Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc in their Porsches and say the exact same thing. I heard that guys who run REALLY hard have to change brakes at 5-6 track days! Yikes!!

Here is a Porsche that had some of the issues you stated. A rotor failure is a scary thing to even think about.

post-505-039621600 1314980460_thumb.jpg

post-505-048917000 1314980473_thumb.jpg

There were 2 Corvette ZR1s and a Ferrari California running there on the Carbon brakes, which is just crazy! From what I heard, the Ferrari rotors are $6k each, so right in line with what you said. The pair of Nissan GTRs were running cast iron rotors, so they are being smart about it.

Here is a picture of a stupid set of drilled rotors on a car running at Sebring!

post-505-071530900 1314980481_thumb.jpg

As to this very issue, I am offering to treat (Thermal Cycle) a set of rotors and pads for you at No Charge! We just started a new division to do automotive performance and racing parts at: www.thermalmetals.com which is licensed partner of www.thermaltechnologyservices.com here in Florida. We now have facilities in Michigan, Canada, Poland, Germany, Australia and so on. The owner of the company & inventor will guarantee (in writing) that you will see a minimum of 2.5 times the life of the rotor. As a result in treating both the rotor and pad, you should expect to see twice the life of the pad, along with a reduction in brake fade, dust, squeal and stopping distances. We treated a set of brakes on a Porsche powered CanAm car that was run in a 24 hour race that would have to swap out standard rotors after 10 hours....with treated rotors, they went the whole 24 hours!

We aren't going to do any advertising, just treat some sets for hardcore track day guys and racers, then let the results speak for themselves. Locally, we are doing a couple Porsches, a Panoz GT racer and a few other high end sports cars. We have also seen an improvement in treating the carbon rotors, but demand for that will be minimal. Once we get enough verified results over the next couple months from guys running them, we are looking at selling the slotted, treated rotors for Porsches and other performance vehicles close to the same price that the sell them for now from those other guys. This will be good for everyone who actually runs their sports cars on the track, not so much those guys who never even get the brakes hot on their Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. ;)

I have seen stress cracks on rotors wo/ cross drilling, and another example that you will see these stress cracks are on flywheels and thay are not cross drilled also...Also it is very important to have properly chamfered holes other wise you will hear a loud buzzing noise and will be more likely to crack.

• 1 month later...

Savage, still offereing this service? I am thinking of changing brake setup on the LS1 powered Z and interested in testing out some of these ideas we talked about here. I will send you a pm.

Sure, I'll get it done for you. On the Porsche GT3 that we treated brakes for (previous post), we now have 5 track days at Sebring, 1 day at Daytona and 1 day at Roebling Road.......they brakes still look just about new. We have a 2 day event at Road Atlanta this weekend and then another 2 day event at Sebring in 2 weeks, then we will pull the pads & rotors to measure wear. Needless to say, it's a fraction of the non-treated brakes that have the same use. Stay tuned for pics and info in the coming weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

The slot design has nothing to do with rotational direction of the rotor, as they just let the hot gases between pad & rotor surface escape. Now the vanes (slots in middle of the rotor) come in direction and non-directional variations, so that would have an impact on which side the rotor should be on, as the directional vane rotors direct airflow through the rotor..

The slot design has nothing to do with rotational direction of the rotor, as they just let the hot gases between pad & rotor surface escape. Now the vanes (slots in middle of the rotor) come in direction and non-directional variations, so that would have an impact on which side the rotor should be on, as the directional vane rotors direct airflow through the rotor..

Excellent, thanks, was trying to figure this out yesterday.