HybridZ

Identify These Headers

JonCutThroat

Sorry for any ignorance that may come across, as this is my first post. Normally I just use HybridZ to search out what I'm looking for and get on with my life but this time I can't find the answer here, or on any other forum/search engine, and need help. I currently own a 72 240z with a 3.1 Stroker that I'm in the process of tearing apart to refresh. I bought the car already built, but worn out, about 3 years ago and after driving it for about 6 months I put it to rest till I could start fixing stuff. Along the way I've been finding all sorts of parts I didn't even know I had, but I have no idea what these headers are. They were a nightmare to get out and I think they're from Japan or at least off a RHD Z, since the steering rack is what made it so difficult. Also, there's a small dent on the third pipe all the way at the bottom where I think it was either knocked in to fit around the steering rack or it straight took a hit from it. Either way, I know there's people here that can help identify these.

Help please.

post-9856-051606200 1309414003_thumb.jpg

post-9856-040759100 1309414063_thumb.jpg

post-9856-048093400 1309414080_thumb.jpg

post-9856-058382400 1309414124_thumb.jpg

Edited by JonCutThroat

Uh, because the market domestically from 1969 to 1978 was around 78,000 cars...

Hell, they sold more 260Z's in the USA alone in 1974 than all of the Japan Production Fairlady Z's.

So my bet is, some sharp marketing guy got with some sharp engineering guy and made up a header that fit BOTH LHD and RHD cars so they only had to make ONE to sell all over the world.

First generation "Trust/Greddy" was a copy of the first generation Nismo header (with the dual 50mm outlet three-bolt flange) and they fit LHD and RHD cars alike.

It didn't come up until recirc ball in the ZX's that headers had to be specifically made to accomodate an LHD car, up to that point most interchanged completely.

There were som notable exceptions, the Fujitsubo on my 71 Fairlady...no way it fits on a LHD car... But that was pretty application-specific. Same goes for some of the Turbo Manifolds (especially the twins)...

Yeah, I don't know how many people use these headers anymore but once I get them cleaned up I'll try some things and if I can get them to drop back in without catching on everything again I'll let you guys know how I did it. My only concern is when I did find these listed anywhere, this site included, they were listed as LHD for the S30 specifically.

"Parts Guide For Retro Rides - Restoring Japan

Nissan Motorsports Race Header

Application: '70-78 Datsun Z

MSRP: $600

PART NUMBER: 99996-E1141, use at local Nissan Dealership

Source: www.nissan4parts.com, to download catalog"

If I would have bought these after research as opposed to already having them I probably would have been pretty frustrated.

Edited by JonCutThroat

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much all the really good headers for the LHD S30 are tight fits. It's part of the charm!

I wouldn't say that at all. The NISMO header in the above photo, fit like a stock exhaust manifold. So did it's companion exhaust (which was a basic copy of the Z432 setup)... Hung with stock hangers, didn't rub on anything, didn't matter if it was automatic or standard... Fit like a factory-engineered piece should.

Now some of the crap that was out there on the aftermarket from Sam's Headers and BBQ.... THOSE may have been nightmares. I was fortunate...I cut my teeth on the JDM side, and thought all headers fit like Factory Exhausts because of it...till I came back to the USA and found my first 240 with a US-Made Mass-Produced "Header".... :shock:

:puke::puke::puke:

Edited by Tony D

Uh, you realize the headers he's referring to are the Nissan motorsports "factory engineered" headers, right Tony?

(and you're right, it's not like we're putting Monzter's Bag Of Snakes down beside the engine or anything....)

I think you better look again, NISMO headers (JDM) are not in JonCutThroat's post (I blew up the dinky photo and looked, my calling them NISMO in the previous post is in error) they are "NISSAN MOTORSPORTS" Headers, and are not the factory engineered pieces. They carry a 99996-XXXXX part number, indicating the purchase from an outside (usually US) vendor. The NISMO headers (shown in the 'How to Modify' book as 'Stainless Steel') come to a three-bolt, two-pipe flange at the junction between the engine and transmission, hence their universal application status.

Do NOT confuse "NISMO" with "NISSAN MOTORSPORTS"---they are TWO DISPARATE AND COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ENTITIES ON TWO DIFFERENT CONTINENTS.

Just because it was offered here in the USA does NOT make it a 'factory engineered' part. It may have been sold through Datsun Dealers, but it wasn't coming from Japan necessarily. The NISMO part had a conventional part number, not the 9/6-XXXXX numbers for outside vendor-sourced parts.

Nissan Motorsports USA bought parts from people and vendors, they rarely designed or engineered anything themselves. When they did have a Nissan Engineered part, likely it was from another application in the JDM (like the diesel springs for the gasoline powered oil pumps....)

Edited by Tony D