HybridZ

Raising engine to remove front crossmember

I want to take the front cross member out of the car to reposition the pivot point.

I have a 350 SBC mounted in the Scarab position. Will I need to unfasten the transmission to lift the engine enough to get the crossmember out?

Any problems with me lifting the engine by using a floor jack under the oil pan?

Thanks,

Michael

Just pull the engine and trans as a unit. It doesn't take that long. Otherwise you may end up building a man trap of jacks and jackstands. Personally I wouldn't put a jack under the oil pan. When I changed my engine mounts I used an engine hoist to lift the engine one side at a time. It only moved 1 to 1.5 inches.

You could use one of these....

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/600-lb-engine-holder-p-12482.aspx

You might be able to find a place that rents them as well.

The two stands on either side rest on the strut towers and the center point turns to raise the engine slightly. It suspends the engines weight across the strut towers while you pull the cross member out from underneath.

Turns out I didn't have to raise the engine at all to get the cross member out. The cross member just drops straight down. I just put a floor jack under the oil pan with a cut to fit sized piece of would between the jack and the pan. Worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.