HybridZ

RB26 single throotle body swap

I have been searching for awhile going through others build threads and random mod topics trying to find a good write up. Anyone know of a good write up here. Specfically I am going RB26 in a Z31 and am looking at everything I need to go single throttle body with perferably Q45 TB.

Thanks

For me it is actually a combination of things. Easier IC piping fabrication, don't have to sync the ITBs and allows for additional clearance between intake manifold and the passenger side frame rail/body.

Specifically I am curious as what TB flange people have used, which TB, and how they adapt TPS to accomadate lengthened wiring (if needed and possible opposite rotation.

Looking at flow number for a couple common aftermarket plenums, you really don't get much more than a shiny plenum unless you are going above $1000 for the plenum. the stock plenum has a decent capacity and decent flow. I am not going to be hitting numbers that would justify spending that kind of money on just a plenum. Plus the same questions I have would be the same as for someone who is making their own manifold.

Also, what throttle cable are people using for single throttle body LHD cars?

It can be done, however I believe the mouth of the stock RB manifold is quite a bit smaller than the ID of a Q45, how much exactly I'm unsure... I just know that you'd almost have to use a reducer on the Q45 TB flange to get back to the stock manifold size.

The Q45 works well, and many use it. It'll flow enough for most power goals. If you're not shooting for 600+ you may consider using a smaller SR TB. This would mate with the stock manifold much easier, and should still flow plenty. We've used Lokar throttle cables for this sort of application in the past with good success.

Below is a custom manifold we do for the RB series. This one is for a 25...

5474813334_2d57b17dbe_z.jpg

IMG_0633 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

• 2 months later...

If you want to retain the stock manifold and weld a falnge to it why not get a q45 flange to rb25det flange adapter. Cut the rb25det flange off the adapter or vise versa. That allows you to use either a q45 throttle body or a rb25det trottle body. just an idea.

Also i second the lokar kit. I bought the 48 inch kit and cut it to length. It can be bought online at either the jegs or summit racing website. I made my own bracker out of alluminum bought from home depot. I used stock mounting holes for the bracket that are to the right of the hoop pin socket.

Edited by David GArcia

Are you running an EMS? if so i would look at the wilson TB. I think raw brokerage sells them. The nissan TPS is a POS. I have been though 4 already and the wilson lets you use the ford/gm tps (dime a dozen and in stock everywhere). There is a company that makes just the weld flange, it might be greddy, I cant remember.