HybridZ

Carbon interior

suparman

So I want to make new interior panels out of carbon fiber, maybe delete some bulges and streamline some areas on my '73. Could I Just put release agent on the inside of the existing panels and vacuum bag it or maybe make a mold of the parts using plaster. I really don't know I have been reading and watching movies about vacuum bagging for two days now and am trying to move forward with my idea. Maybe I should just move to a big city so I can find local people to talk to in person lol. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks.

Edited by suparman

Skinning the part in CF might be more useful to you than molding the part. Here's a link to a youtube vid on how to do it.

You could use body filler to modify the parts, then lay CF over them when you've got them the way you want. If you decide to make a mold, these guys also have vids on how to do that with out vacuum bagging. If you do end up doing it, post up pics of the results! That would be cool to see.

Good luck!

Yea I did the carbon fiber vinyl look alike on a couple parts not digging it. The panels I have are kinda brittle and I really like the look of a stripped out interior on the z. So concept is to make a bunch of molds that closely match the interior sheet metal. Fiberglass would work to, I don't care about having the carbon look so glass would be cheaper. I am hoping to order the resin infusion kit from http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/resin-infusion-complete-starter-kit.aspx in a couple of weeks I am just not sure the best way to make the molds they also sell a mold kit kinda looks like chopped glass and clay it will make multiple copies of the part. I only want one copie so I am thinking plaster would be cheaper and easier to get a hold of I just don't know if the gel coat ad-hears to plaster Hell if I cant figure it out I may just sheet the car with aluminum and pop rivets, that will streamline it.

this link is to their mold making video.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea..I don't like the wrap idea...But I am not getting or finding the answers I need on mold making materials. I don't want to do a glass lay up I was hoping fro something like plaster where I could Just pour it and get a one and done mold out of it no luck figuring that out yet so maybe this is just another failed idea.

Yea..I don't like the wrap idea...But I am not getting or finding the answers I need on mold making materials. I don't want to do a glass lay up I was hoping fro something like plaster where I could Just pour it and get a one and done mold out of it no luck figuring that out yet so maybe this is just another failed idea.

from what ive heard its the laying of the actual carbon fibers which is hard, even harder to get it aesthetically correct. I know a majority of the CF s2000 hardtops were just carbon wrapped on the outside. I will be trying out wrapping pieces once i start to makeover my interior.

I have had a good forum thread form a french civic forum about CF and molding ill post the adresse maybe Google translattion could work ?

Original=French original

Translation=My linkgoogle translation

Its very informative i did a pair of motorcycle mirrors following this guide and you can even add vaccum bagging if you want

Edited by Wedge

• 4 weeks later...

Plaster is a NO GO! Its very pourous so when the resin dries it actually is impregnated into the plaster and there is no way your getting that apart.

IMO your gonna have to make a fiberglass mold with a gel coat finish. If properly prepared your mold should have a mirror like finish making it non pourous and your parts should literally fly outta the mold with little effort. However, if mold making were easy... all of us would be doing it. Honestly, its something you gotta love!