HybridZ

Is it true?

Yes. It's not really extensive information, more like common sense stuff (IMO) but it is guidance on how to do it. You would still want to check with a referee station etc. but it can apparently be done if you follow the rules.

One thing I'm curious about and wold liek to know form anyone out there that's researched it - is California requiring the retrofit of catalytics into cars that didn't originally have them when doing a swap? I believe the answer is NO due to fire concerns but I've heard differeing opinions. Would love ot hear somehting definative - say from someone that's done it... I seem to recall that atleast one person here has gone through the referee process, yes?

Well, i read up on the JTR site... Apparently no matter what i do i can't use the 327 i have :-(...

Maybe if i get a new aluminum 327 block i have been hearing about... it may not have the same markings, and would be lighter...

maybe by the time i have to get my car smogged i will be able to get a 240Z...

CA is NOT requiring retrofits of catalytic converters, etc. However, I'm still kinda unsure of whether the rules go by the date of the emissions systems or by the date of the block. BLKMGK, you will remember I am running a block older than the car, which I thought was illegal.

I talked to some people at Random Technology and they told me that there were no concerns of the car catching fire with their catalytic converters, as long as the car isn't coated underneath with gasoline, etc...

I'm getting a Random Cat, heard too many bad things about Catco. This is NOT to pass emissions or get certified by a referee station (I don't plan to).

This IS to let me roll through roadside smog sniffers without getting pulled over each time.

Owen

The isue of retrofitting isn't so much to prevent the bottom of the car from cathing fire but from the interior from catching fire due to the intense heat. I've spoken to more than one person who's had that happen and I've had one of my cats get so hot that the interior undercarpeting began to smoke - and that was with heat shields! Older cars that never had cats are even worse, they don't have shields and the interior is more liekly to catch fire. It was for these reasons that I understood that retrofitting wasn't being required.

If you retrofit a cat make sure it's got an air gap around it and a shield with an air gap on either side of it too. Be sure the car doesn't run too rich which will really heat it up and make sure the interior doesn't get too hot. In my case I had to douse the cat wiht water icon_eek.gif in order to cool it and the car off (dead O2 caused full rich on one bank).

Runnin a block older than the car - not sure of the rules on that in CA. Thankfully I don't live out there icon_razz.gif However my state has patterned some of it's rules on California icon_rolleyes.gif I think they've tested roadside stuff once or twice already, I'm not sure though. Hopefully it won't come to that...

Guest Anonymous

They may be running a new study, they were in my area 3 months ago and finished I heard on the news in july (this year). I luckily missed them, but my wife saw them pulling in cars and they had the test rack and the whole bit. She said it was also obvious they were pulling in ugly older cars which seems to me heavily biases the study toward higher poluting cars. At any rate, I waited them out until they closed up shop and then drove the Z.. icon_smile.gif

I just wish they'd let you do whatever under the hood as long as you met a emission limit. What matters is what comes out, now how you achieved it. Least thats my take on it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Lone

back in 1990 when this car got its first 8, it failed carb for the heads, carb, manifold, lack of effective smog equipment, and various other offenses, then they passed the car and gave it a carb sticker because it would have cost more than 500 to fix, the paperwork has this one part where the referee intervened and passed the car on that basis. very very strange....

100% correct FairLady, there is a loophole in the regs that sets a limit on the amount of financial hardship would exist to bring an engine up to 'spec'. I believe icon_confused.gif that it may be even less now (but I'm not sure). I remember that the DMV had to send $$$ back to people who had brought cars in from out of State, and had to pay a bunch of money to register their cars in CA.

In CA, if your car does not have catalytic converters (you don't have to retrofit converters onto cars that did not have them originally), then you don't have to add them.

You DO have to have the same year or newer engine, with all other emissions-related components for that engine.

If your car is a '73 or older - no emissions at all!.

I live in Atlanta, and anything 25 yrs old doesn't have emissions testing done on it so I'm cool w/my '75.

Owen et al,

From what I can gather, the roadside testing program is no longer in effect. It was a three year research program, initiated by CARB and with the cooperation of the California Highway Patrol. This was a 'research' study by CalEPA, on the effectiveness of mobile source pollution control devices. This program ceased compiling data in 1998/9. Although this was not set up to enforce the laws prohibiting removing emission controls from vehicles, since the CHP was involved, if you happened to in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong (or lack of) equipment on your car....whammo...a nice revenue generator for the CHP.Here is a site which explains the program for anyone interested:

ARB info

Tim

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]